Its Been a While...- George Weasley

It's felt like so much longer than a year. That's for sure. It feels like I've been out of school for multiple years.
I must admit I miss the old (y/h) spirit I had back then. Now it all feels like a blur. A blur of faded colors that left too soon.
I work as a reporter for the Daily Prophet now. I must say my job is pretty high for someone so young, but school sure did pay off.  But it isn't exactly what I would say "living on the edge."
     I walk down the abandon allies and streets where people used to roam freely. But ever since the attack on Ollivander's I haven't really seen anyone down here.  Except for a few occasional children who wander into the brightly colored building at the end of the street.
     That is where I am headed. To go and meet with the two men in charge.  Although I have to say I feel a bit—nervous.  I used to go to school with them not so long ago. I actually have quite the story. But I'll get to that later.
     I push open the doors and walk in to see many different gags and pranks around the walls.  Fireworks were flying and potions were bubbling. I can't believe what I am seeing. It's like a dream, but not my own. Because I know I would never dream up anything quite like this. But it sure is amazing.
Right as I step in I am passed by a trio walking out. Not just any trio though, the 'golden trio'. As I am sure more people refer to them as that rather than just me.
     Harry, Hermione, and Ron all walk out past me. I manage to mutter out a hello as they step past me. They all either returned my greeting in a nod or a small whispered hello.
      Although I hadn't received any normal hellos in a while. It is as though everyone is scared out of their own skin to make any noise at all. But I guess I cannot blame them. Not with everything that has been happening recently.
      And all of a sudden in a gust of wind sent a shock of fear through my body as a whirl of colors shot past the side of my head and out the door behind me.
      "Ooh! Now that was a close one!" I hear someone exclaim from a few feet away.

      "That could've gotten nasty! Now couldn't it?!" Shouted another.

      I looked over to my right where I find the infamous Weasley twins, standing in their all famous pride and glory. If I wasn't still in shock from nearly having my head blown off I probably would have reacted a lot differently.
     "What was that?!" I finally manage to ask. The two step down off the steps and towards me.
     "Now what was what?" Fred asks with a smirk. I had always been able to tell them apart from the start, not sure how though. Or perhaps I was always wrong. Guess the world will never truly know now will it?
     "You know what! I nearly just had my head exploded!" I claim.

     "Oh haha, yes that." George laughs while shaking his head,"Now that was just a firework. Obviously mistakingly set off of course. We had no intention of lighting you on fire today." He smiles.
     "Oh now that's really reassuring." I say raising my eyebrow.  "Now anyways, I had just a few questions for the press--"

      "Oh wait. We know you. You went to school with us! Isn't that right now Fred? Remember?" George exclaims throwing up his arms.
      "Oh yes! You were that (y/h), (y/l/n) right? (Y/n)!" Fred points out as he recalls who I am.

      "Yes that is me. But as I had said before I am here for business reasons strictly. And I need to--"

      "Ask us some questions?" Fred asks. "We sure have heard that a lot now recently."

      "Yeah yeah, always the same old questions. Like why we decided to do this, or why we decided to remain open even with the death-eater attack, stuff like that." George adds on.

      "Well they are good questions. Things people want to know. People have questions and I intend to give them answers." I say confidently. I came in with a purpose, I am not leaving empty handed.
     "Yes well, we try to avoid speaking to the press so. If we could kindly ask you to--"  Fred starts but I cut him off.
      "Why? You scared I'll put a bad review on your little shop here? Quite frankly boys I'm a bit offended neither of you want to talk to me." I say pulling a guilt card on the two of them. "Here I am just wanting a word with one of you, and you both turn me down. What a shame actually. . ."
      "No. no no, don't you pull that on us. Because we are not falling for it." Fred says stubbornly.  "I am sorry, but we are just not ready to be answering any questions at the moment. But when we are, I'll be sure to let you know before anyone else."
      I give him a good cold stare before holding out my hand holding my card with my owl information on it and address. "Fine." I say after he takes it from me, whipping around I stride right through the door. I may not have gotten what I wanted but I wasn't going to let them see me in a vulnerable place.
I turn around and start for the door. I can't believe how incredibly immature those boys can be. Even now after we have graduated. It's ridiculous. Utterly ridiculous.
An icy breeze slaps my face as I step out into the fall air. Although it is not Winter the weather has been exceptionally cold recently. I head for the streets when I hear the door open and close behind me.
"You're just going to leave like that?" Someone says from behind me. I allow my eyes to close before turning around slowly.
"So now you have a problem with it? Because in there you acted as if I were just some stranger to you." I say coldly.
       George releases a deep sigh as he steps towards me. "You know you shouldn't take any of that personally. When we were first involved we claimed it was best to keep it a secret until the end."

       "No George, YOU claimed that would be best. You're the one who couldn't tarnish your reputation by being seen with me." I said, now feeling my eyes well with tears. "Because after all, you were popular at school. I was just the shy (y/h) who spent most her time studying alone in the library."
       He opens his mouth to speak but I don't allow him to. After all this time it was my turn to talk. "You were always flirting with the other girls. Even when you thought I wasn't around. You would never let anyone know about us. Now why was that? Because you were embarrassed of me? C'mon. Tell me George. Now what was it?"
     By now he was speechless. Perhaps the quietest I have ever seen him.
      "(Y/n) you know that that wasn't true." He starts.

       "Do I? If I said it I would have meant it would I have not?"

        "I mean the part of me being embarrassed by you. You know I wasn't. I was trying to protect yo--"

         "Protect me? PROTECT ME? From what? People thinking that someone actually cared about me? People believing that I was happy?" I scoff and fold my arms over my chest. "Still arrogant as ever I see."

       "No! You know that we got in trouble a lot around school. And anyone we are close with would get in trouble too when we were caught. Not to mention but after Ron friended Harry our family hasn't been the safest either. I didn't want to see you get hurt."
        I bite my lip and look to my shoes. Could he be telling the truth? Or is this just another one of his schemes?
       "Then explain the other girls. Why were you constantly with them, when I wasn't even allowed to hold your hand in public."

       "That was them! Never did I once ever go after one of them. I wanted you, and only you!" He said, now upset.

       "If you wanted me so bad then why couldn't you tell your family about us? Not even Fred knows! He barely recognized me in there!" I yell.

       "I already told you why--"

       "Oh yeah, to protect me. Gotcha. Well thank you but that was a real cruel way of doing that." I sneer.

       "See, once again, you don't believe me. So what's changed? You never believed anything I said."

       "That's coming from the guy who kissed me under the stairs on Christmas and poured his hot chocolate on me then made it look like I was just another prank victim so that Fred wouldn't think that we were doing anything different!" I yell.

      "He could have realized--" he starts, but I cut him off again.

      "Oh! And I'm sorry that that's the worst possible outcome! I'm sorry that being with me was such a burden!" I scream, now angry.

       "I never said you were a burden! In case you don't remember, you broke up with me. Not the other way around! And that pained me more than I care to admit!" He blurts, now red in the face. I was probably not too different.

       "I told you I loved you and you left me standing there. You never said it back or anything. You just lead me on. . ." I say now quiet again. My voice aching due to all the screaming.  

       "I didn't know what to do. I was scared of what would happen if we got too attached--"

       "Sometimes the best thing to do is put your fears aside and listen to your heart." I tell him.

      "Sometimes you're heart isn't always right." He mutters under his breath. Now looking at his feet. He looks up and makes eye contact with me, he must've seen how upset that last statement had made me. Because he spoke up again before I got the chance to.
       "Look. If you came here for an apology I suggest you just leave. Because you're not going to get--"

      "I didn't come here for an apology." I say. "I came to do my job. But I can see you can't even support me on that either." I say before spinning back around on my heels and walking away into the cold.

       "(Y/n) wait--"

       But before he could say anything else I swish my wand and disapparate back into my office, where I finally allow myself to break down. . .

A/N: I had originally planned a much happier ending for this, but I guess my current emotions got the best of me. Lemme know if you want a part two. That might even end a bit better😅