Cryptotrappers- Tyrant of the Volcano

Thursday 1. My seventeenth birthday, actually. I'd been so preoccupied with work that I almost forgot about my own birthday, which is actually a pretty depressing state of affairs when I say it like that. But when your day-to-day involves dodging around the claws of a Knucker or the fists of a Bigfoot, normal stuff like school and birthdays becomes sidelined, you know? Still, I thought I should celebrate, you know, buy a cheap cake, hang out with Lucy for a bit to share it, take some wrapped up slices in for Eva, Sid and Randy and use the birthday excuse to apologise for being later than I usually am to Eva before getting down to whatever work she'd planned for the day.

As soon as I began to descend into the Lab, something felt off. I could have swore I heard scurrying as I descended, and then it was strangely silent. The lights were off, too. That never happened. Tentatively taking a step off of the elevator, the lights flicked on to reveal bright colours as everybody jumped out from their hiding spots.
"Surprise!"
Randy was in a bright shirt, suspenders and a party hat. Eva was dressed in a dashing suit jacket with accompanying top hat. Sid was dressed exactly how he usually dressed, unenthusiastically blowing a party blower. On one wall was a 'Happy Birthday Michael' banner, on the other was a separate banner saying 'Happy Birthday Exo'.
"We didn't know which you'd prefer!" Eva explained, pulling me into an awkward hug and handing me my own party hat as I, in return, handed her a slice of the cake. "Happy birthday!"
"Thanks." I replied, donning my new paper headwear. "But, um, I didn't actually tell you it was my birthday?"
"It's best that you just don't worry about that." Randy responded dismissively, as I bestowed him and Sid their own slices of cake. "Anyway, about your gift from us... Eva, if you would?"
Eva took her standing position in front of the room in her typical mission-giving pose, as I stood with the guards ready to hear what she had to say.
"Now, today may be Exo's birthday, but it's also still a workday." Eva reminded us, as all focus was on her. "Sid, Randy, you're both on caretaking duty today."
Randy gave a muffled response through the mouthful of cake that he'd already started to eat.
"Exo, as for today's mission... that's up to you. What cryptid do you want to hunt for your birthday?"

I stood, frozen on the spot unspeaking for a good ten seconds before my voice found me.
"I'm sorry, you want me to plan the cryptid we're going after today?"
"Mhm!" Eva replied, cheerfully.
"You want me to completely decide what we're going after?"
"Mhm!"
"Like I don't have a list of options or anything?"
"Nope!"
"Complete freedom on what we're hunting?"
"Complete freedom, anything you'd like."
My eyes darted around the room as all eyes were on me. My throat felt dry, and my tongue uncomfortable in my mouth.
"Could you give me a minute?"

My mind raced as I sat in the corner, scrolling through useless lists of cryptids that didn't inspire me in the slightest. If this was my one chance to pick a cryptid, I was dang certain I was going to make it count. But I didn't know exactly what cryptid I'd choose that was going to make it count.
"So, what is this exactly?" I asked, catching Eva's attention from across the room. "Like is this standard affair cryptozoology, or are we going out to catch a pet or, what is this exactly?"
"That entirely depends on what you go for!" Eva replied, giving the least helpful answer to my question that she could have given.
"For example?" I pried, really trying to get some more information.
"Like if you're considering going out and hunting a dragon, that's something for us to keep in the Lab." Eva explained. "But if you wanted, say, a Crocodingo, I feel like you're trustworthy and discreet enough to be able to keep that as a pet, if you wanted to."
"I'm sorry, a Crocodingo!" I asked, as a thousand more ideas for what I could be going for flooded my head.
"Anything you like. Just name it, and I'll start packing." Eva replied, as I slowed my thoughts and really thought about what my answer would be here.
"Well in that case..." I began, slowing down my words to give me enough time to make sure I really knew what I wanted. "The thing that I really want to go looking for is... a Mongolian Death Worm."
I eyed Eva nervously, wondering if my answer was good enough. Eva smiled and nodded, turning on her heel.
"Then we best start packing for a warm climate! Come on, the sooner we pack, the sooner we can get going! Gobi Desert, we're coming for you!"