Cryptotrappers- The Pantheon of the Panther

Monday 6. Lucy is still in the hospital. She's leaving soon but for today it seems we won't have her on the team. Personally, I'm just glad to hear that she's doing okay now, considering how terrified I was on the day. If I'd lost her, I don't really know what I would have done from there. But that's not worth dwelling on, because she ended up being, at least for the most part, okay. Getting into work today, Seth dutifully by my side, only Sid was standing for duty waiting for me to arrive. And, of course, unchanging as the northern star, Eva.

"Good, you're here." Eva began, as I stood next to Sid. "Then we can begin, because today a client asked for you personally."
"A client?" I asked, very obviously focusing on the wrong aspect of the statement.
"Somebody who has requested aid in a cryptozoological manner from our organisation, yes." Eva clarified, pausing for me to take the obvious hook I really should have lead with.
"And they asked for me personally?" I finally moved the conversation onto the subject of.
"Yes, they asked for you. Clearly you made an impression on them if they're calling you all the way out to Lake Superior."
Everything flooded back at once.
"Chiselled chin Kelpie dude!" I blurted out, "Sam, or something like that wasn't it?"
"Yes, Sam the Each-Uisge. His colony is having issues with a particularly aggressive individual of a native Cryptid species, one regaled in some cultures as a sort of god."
I looked over to Sid, who seemed to have an eyebrow raised.
"Go on?" I pushed, as Eva went into a sprawling monologue.

"The Mishipeshu, graceful but deadly, is said to dwell deep in lakes, calling storms and bringing malevolent doom. Some see them as guardian spirits, but most agree that they are harbingers of death and masters of their domain. Also known as the Underwater Panther, they are suggested to have a body like a large wildcat such as a cougar, with deerlike antlers and carplike whiskers. On its back is a ridge of scales, running down to a tail that resembles a paddle. With finned limbs and webbed toes, it manoeuvres with ease through the water and bites down with great force on prey; though that's not to say it's not dangerous on land as it is just as ferocious and capable there too. Plus it's mottled blue colour makes it hard to see in the murky deep. Now, Sam requested a small party and suggested you may even come alone."
"That, uh, sounds like a death sentence." I replied.
"I know. That's why we're sending Sid with you." Eva clarified. "We'll drop you off at the end of the lake where Sam will be waiting. Your job is to capture the cryptid, and return it here. For this purpose, we're providing aquatic gear, Displacers and also your typical terrestrial cryptid capturing gear, such as your nets and tranquilliser guns. Gather what you need and meet me here in five!"

Sid seemed to have one topic on his mind as we collected our stuff.
"How are you feeling about swimming right now?" he asked, surprisingly understanding sounding.
"Let's just say this particular request could have come at a better time." I replied, trying not to sound bitter. It was hardly like it was Sam's fault, he didn't know what had just happened. But frankly I was really hoping to keep away from the water, and especially Displacers, for a while.
"It almost reminds me of our first outing as a duo..." Sid reminisced, throwing a large amount of nets into his pack. "At least this time we know what we're going against and how dangerous it is. How bad can it be?"
I could tell he was trying to lift my spirits on the matter but he was no Randy in that regard. Soon enough though we were packed and ready to roll, each of us with four Displacer rods on hand, and with our track record on that front, all I could do was hope we'd meet the feline on land instead of in the lake itself.

I felt bad about how little usage Seth had been getting on missions lately. Had I known how many water and indoors style missions there would be, I may have invested in a... baby Kraken or something. Yeah, coming to think of it there isn't many mainstream aquatic cryptids that come pet sized; I'd have looked into the topic anyhow. Still, we arrived in a flash on the embankment of a vast lake that stretched out like the sea. And waiting there was a man I was sure I'd never be seeing again after last time we met.
"Michael. I see you've brought one of your friends." Sam began, in the voice I had gone so long without hearing.
"Trouble in paradise?" I asked, coolly, brushing off the fact that the last time I had seen Sam he would have happily killed and eaten me.
"Unfortunately this place wasn't exactly as it was advertised." Sam grumbled. "Still hunting cryptids then, since you're here?"
"Yep, still in that business. Still hunting down campers who stroll by the lake?" I retorted, to which Sam hung his head.
"Admittedly, that was a dark part of my life and you'll be glad to hear, I hope, that I'm not that Each-Uisge anymore. Fish and kelp diet."
"Good to hear!" I answered chipperly, turning to Sid who nodded with a grin.