Cryptotrappers- Fish-Tailed Beasts

"Eva, Eva, the glass is cracked. Please respond, now."
What was on the other side of the cracked glass clearly didn't use it's beauty to lure in prey. A bald scaly fish thing that looked barely human enough to be disturbing; its eyes were very forward facing and its mouth not dissimilar to a moray eel. Its mottled head was earless with only holes on the side of it's head and slits for a nose. The thing's body was spindly, with a good imitation of human ribs visible beneath it's chest where the torso turned to tail. And said tail was long, sharklike. As a whole it looked like a hideous thalassophobic chimera, and considering how it continued to pound at the windows, it didn't seem to be at all scared of light, unfortunately for us.

"Stay calm, what's the situation?" Eva crackled on the radio.
"It's cracked the window, no apparent water leakage yet but I don't think we'd get out of the water in time if it started to leak."
Eva's voice paused for a second before she responded.
"Is there any dampness on the inside of the glass?"
Lucy reached out and ran her finger over where the crack in the window continued to spider.
"No dampness, we're completely dry, for now." she responded.
"Okay good, they've only shattered the external layer. Hopefully the internal layer of glass will last until I can pull-"
"Eva, there's more!" Lucy shouted, cutting out boss off just before another blow came to the side of the ship. The vessel jolted as it began to move, very slightly.
"Abandon the mission, I'm pulling you up."
"But the ACD-" Lucy interjected before she herself was cut off.
"Damn the ACD, I can make another but your safety is paramount. I'm getting you out of here right no-"
Nobody had cut anybody off this time. Eva's radio had entirely fallen silent, and neither of us had the bravery to speak either. Another jolt attempted to lift us, but all of a sudden that had stopped too. And unmistakeably, we began to sink lower.

It had first seemed as though the ACD outside the window had been lowering and then rising in the water, but of course that was not the case. Both Lucy and I had prepared for the jolt but even still the force of the now detached pod we were in hitting the sea floor knocked us off our feet. It seemed that the pod had rolled and now the cracked window was directly above us, the cracks looking as threatening as ever. As I tried to raise myself to stand on what used to be the wall, the sounds of the ocean around began to feel threatening. I couldn't tell what was distorting metal, what was ocean sounds, and what was merfolk, planning to get their next feast.
"Lucy does the ACD still work?" I asked, my voice barely avoiding catching in my throat. Above us in the water, a light flickered off and the whir of approaching motors barely made its way into the pod.
"Seems so." Lucy replied, somber. There was no way for us to eject the suit anymore; any attempt would flood whoever was left inside. We were trapped inside of our research station.

Despite our best collective efforts, none of us could figure out an escape. It didn't seem worth thinking. Death seemed like pretty much the only option.
"This might be it." I finally resolved, not wanting to accept it but finding myself forced to.
"Shame. I had a lot I wanted to do with my life." Lucy replied, sounding more despondent than I'd ever heard her.
"What sort of things?" I asked, trying to lighten the conversation as much as I could.
"Does it matter now?"
"Better to talk about what we would have done than about what's presumably going to happen."
Lucy sighed and sat down beneath the pitch blackness of the window; I sat opposite, trying to breathe steadily.
"Well..." Lucy began, staring off at the wall. "Keep working for Eva, for a while at least. Ace my exams, take life sciences in university, maybe eventually move somewhere else and pursue something else to do with cryptozoology."
I nodded as I listened. I hadn't really considered the idea of Lucy retiring and moving away. I hadn't considered that a possibility for any of the team; the least myself.

"Well I've spilled, how about you, Michael?" Lucy responded, looking at me, and I had to put together an answer.
"I, well I doubt I'd ever have ended up leaving the Cryptotrappers since I'm pretty integral to the whole 'finding cryptids' aspect of the job."
I sighed and looked up at the cracked window, wondering how different my life would be right now if I didn't have that 'talent'. Since we had been left down here stranded, I'd had a sort of ringing sound in my ears that made it hard to think.
"Well, I'd probably have stayed a Cryptotrapper, put the effort in to become an expert on the subject like Eva. Probably do a bit of weight training but not an excessive amount since I'd presumably still have Sid and Randy around... I guess just take whatever comes."
I sat with Lucy in silence for a few moments more, before I asked a burning question I'd been thinking on.