Cryptotrappers- The Killer Rabbit

Thursday 22. Early morning, actually; Eva had specifically called me in as such. And judging by the sleep-addled text I'd received from Lucy, she'd apparently gotten the same call. But considering that she'd allowed the team a day off yesterday to recover, I could hardly complain about an early start to the shift today. In some good news, my burnt arm seems to be finally strong enough for me to use it again, for short periods at least. No heavy lifting, but I should at least be able to shoot a dart now if I need to.

Arriving at the Lab, I was instantly taken aback to find Sid, Randy and Lucy waiting in the main hall, but no sign of Eva. As I approached them, my perplexment clearly evident on my face, their expressions read similar.
"Not that I'm not happy that you're here," Randy began, taking another search around the room, "but I was really hoping that you were going to be Eva coming in, because I have no idea what's going on here."
"So Eva not being here, that's... unusual, I'm guessing?" Lucy asked, as Sid nodded grimly.
"Day in, day out, Eva's always here. I'm surprised she doesn't scuff the carpet with her shoes from standing in the same place so much."
My eyes were drawn to the right-side corridor as a thought occurred to me.
"I'm gonna go check..." I began, before I trailed off and began making my way towards the garden, with Lucy following shortly behind.

Cracking the door to the illusory paradise open, my eyes were cast upon Eva, sitting in front of the Jinmenju in an almost trancelike state as orbs hovered around her in the air. As I slowly opened the door further, I'd apparently made enough noise to alert her, as she turned to me with surprise.
"Exo! I'm sorry- I didn't realise that it was already... I hope you weren't waiting too long for me."
I replied with a cordial and respectful nod.
"How is the Jinmenju settling in?"
"The Kodama haven't take a physical form yet, but the tree itself at least seems to be content." Eva responded, rising to her feet and approaching us. "Already it's begun shedding fruit, so we'll soon have samples that we can use."
"Is it, you know, morally okay to run experiments on fruit that's able to laugh?" Lucy asked, seeming a little discontent.
"I understand your concern," Eva addressed, "however the Jinmenju fruit seems to remain animate only whilst attached to the tree itself. I promise that, no matter what, I will never harm a Cryptid in my care."
Eva paused for a second, her face unreadable, before she returned to jovial professionalism.
"Anyway, I think I've kept you all waiting long enough. I think we should begin."

Standing with the others in the main hall, I awaited the mission brief from Eva. Taking a few seconds to organise herself, she addressed us with her full focus.
"You may be wondering why I deemed it necessary to get all of you in here as early as I did. In truth, the concept of the mission may seem simple, however in practise, you may find it more difficult. Can any of you tell me what a Jackalope is?"
I had the vague idea, but seeing Randy's eyes light up at the question as he looked hardly able to keep the answer in, I felt that it would be rude to answer myself.
"A Jackalope is a rabbitlike cryptid typically found in the folklore of American lumberjacks!" Randy finally blurted out. "The name comes from Jackrabbit and Antelope, but typically they're seen as having antlers more than horns. They're considered incredibly elusive, and most of the time, they're written off as just tall tales."
Eva smirked in Randy's direction.
"Have you been practicing that answer, by chance?"
"Eva, I was a kid who grew up on a farm in rural America." Randy boasted. "I was born to answer this question."

"Well," Eva continued, "in our field, Jackalopes are one of the most elusive species in the wild, and one of the most trialing to actually contain. Prior theorisation would suggest that this would be because on top of their blazing speed and surprisingly vicious disposition, Jackalopes are also able to read the emotional aura of an individual."
"That's a thing?" Lucy asked, bewildered. Eva gave a shrugs of uncertainty in response.
"Who knows? But personally, with more current scientific evidence I'd suspect that, in truth, Jackalopes are simply able to intuit what an individual's actions will be through an impressive sense of hearing, careful analysis of every clench of every muscle, and by perhaps even sensing the hormonal changes that a surge of emotion would cause. Of course, there could be more explanations, but under the current hypothesis, my advice would be to utilise Seth's skills as a predator, stay downwind, move as a unit and to remain calm, yet unpredictable."
I gave an nod in response, wondering if I should have perhaps picked up a notepad and pencil beforehand.
"If that's all settled, then get your gear together and we can begin!"