Chapter 42: Don't be all talk and no action. Kiss me if you love me

Of course, the chosen chuan chuan shop was the one Ding Meng usually frequented. It had the recipes and flavors she was familiar with.

This was the Qiao Yichen's second time visiting this shop. The last time he was here, he came to drag her home and didn't have the chance to look around carefully. This time, he took his time assessing his surroundings and noticed that this shop was very actually clean compared to other roadside stalls.

Ding Meng requested the same private room as last time and ordered heaps of food. The waiter brought over her order and Ding Meng immediately began to cook the food in the pot.

Qiao Yichen picked up a couple vegetable skewers from the basket to see if they had been washed properly. Ding Meng glanced over at him as she put the food in the pot and scoffed, "You didn't mind eating from the vendor at the school entrance before, why are you pretending to care now?"

Qiao Yichen, "..."

After taking off his suit and hanging it on the chair, he rolled up his sleeves and also began to put food in the pot, "This is the last time that you're eating chuan chuan this year."

Ding Meng, "..."

Hey there were still two months left this year! He couldn't possibly forbid her from eating chuan chuan for two whole months!

Although Ding Meng felt very dissatisfied inside, she didn't express her thoughts at that moment. Besides, next time she would sneak out so quietly that he won't even notice.

After pushing all the meat from the first round into the pot, Ding Meng used her chopsticks to pick up a soybean from a side dish, "This place also has grass jelly and mochi. Do you want some?"

Qiao Yichen replied, "Nope."

"Eh, then later you can't have any of mine." After speaking, Ding Meng ran over to the door and ordered another bowl of grass jelly from the waiter.

The food in the pot came to a rolling boil and the aroma from the chuan chuan wafted throughout the room. Ding Meng eagerly picked up her chopsticks to give the food a try and impatiently picked up a skewer of beef for an inspection.

Qiao Yichen smacked her hand back, "It isn't done cooking yet."

Ding Meng tenaciously held onto the skewer of beef and retorted, "I like it medium, ok?"

Qiao Yichen, "..."

Ding Meng took two bites of the beef but felt that it lacked flavor so she threw a few chilis into her bowl. Across from her, Qiao Yichen watched and frowned, "Do you still want your vocal cords?"

Ding Meng pouted and used her chopsticks to fish out a couple chilis. Goudan was so annoying. Xiao Zhuo-zi was still the best chuan chuan friend.

After swallowing that piece of beef, Ding Meng finally felt a little satisfied and began reminisce with Qiao Yichen about their childhood, "Do you remember the lady at the school gate that sold spring rolls? The spring rolls that she made tasted so good. You bought them for me everyday!"

"Yep." Qiao Yichen grinned faintly.

"Also the skewered quail eggs a stall over! That uncle's quail eggs were amazing. One time we even ate 40 in a single sitting!"

Qiao Yichen, "I only had 10."

Ding Meng, "..."

Somehow, he had actually remembered such a small detail so clearly. Did this mean that he had been keeping tabs on how much she owed him this entire time?

Frowning, she picked up a skewer of quail eggs from the pot and offered it to him, "Then eat until we're even today. In the past, a braised quail egg was 10¢. Now, a skewer with three eggs actually costs $1.50. You've really profited."