Chapter 1

Vince

"Don't forget we have a test tomorrow," Mr. Mizelle said to the class. Class was over and I headed to a class to wait for 2nd load buses to be called for dismissal. I don't know why I even came back down here. We only had a few more weeks left in school and I just had to finish it here.

"I miss volleyball so much!" Casey said to diamond.

"yes! I can't wait for next season!" Diamond says with excitement.

Man, diamond is so beautiful. I automatically started crushing on her. I wish we were closer. I'm not an attention craving type of guy, but I had to get hers.

"Casey, give me some candy since my birthday coming up. February 3rd is gon' be lit." I said, trying to make small talk so diamond would hopefully say something.

"mine is on the same day! You're Vince, right?" Diamond questioned.

"yeah. You heard about me, huh? Good things I hope?" I asked with a cocky smirk.

"yes, very good things," She says as she's smiling.

"you should get to know me a little bit better, sweetie," I hand her my phone so she can put her number in it.

"we'll see," She hands me my phone back.

She so bad! I need that on my team. "Come walk with me, shorty."

She looked at Casey and said, "I'll text you." We walked out the door to go to the buses. "So, how come I haven't seen you around school before?"

"I just moved back down here from Miami," I tell her. She started laughing, I don't know why. "What's so funny?"

"Who moves away from Miami? Why does it feel like I know you? What's your last name?" Man, she asking a million questions.

"Well, my mom wanted to move back down here. I'm Vince Cole," I explain.

She just looked at me then said, "Oh my god, I know you! We used to be really close when we were kids. Your mama's name is Laurie, right?" I looked at her a little bit closer before I asked, "You're Diamond Jenkins? You changed a whole lot. It's been years, like three."

We stood in front of the school doors and hugged for a minute. "I missed you," she tells me.

"If you missed me so much, why didn't you try to reach me?" She didn't speak for a second. Maybe because I'm right.

"I didn't know how. It's obvious that you ain't miss me, you didn't try to reach me." She had a point.

"I had the same reason as you," I tell her.
"Alright then, shut up and get to yo' bus." She's a mouthy asshole.

That's the same old Diamond I used to know. It's funny how memory comes into play; just a minute ago, we were talking like didn't know each other. Come to find out, we've known each other all along.

The next morning I was up and in the car, ready to leave for school. The car was all white and had Forgiato rims with darkly tinted windows.

I pulled up to my school in no time. As soon as I got out of the car, I saw Diamond. She had on some grey Robin jeans that made her booty look even bigger. I went up to talk to her.

"Diamond?" I got her attention. She jumped in my arms and said, "I missed you so much!"I smiled.

"Don't start. We just started to talk again yesterday," I tell her while laughing. She punched my arm.

"You ain't gone be hitting me like you crazy."

"What you gone do?"

"Keep playing."

We laughed.

I walked her into her first class before going to my own.

School was going by fast. Before I knew it, I was already in my 4th period, which I shared with a couple of hoes, but Diamond was there so it was cool.

Since I had the car, I didn't have to wait for buses. I had a car, but I hate driving if because I always get into accidents when I drive it. Diamond and I drove home. "You ready?" I ask her, she nods her head yes.

I held her hand while we walked out of the school doors.

We got in the car.

"Where you stay?" I ask her.

"Take a left, right, then straight. You can't miss it," she replied.

I started driving. I put a CD in and let it play.

Diamond started pouting.

I turn the radio down. "D, what's wrong?"

She looked at me and finally spoke, "Vince, where have you been for the past 5 years?"

"I told you, In Miami. I had to get out of here. There wasn't nothin' for me."

She started crying and said, "So, you couldn't tell me? We were about to become one and you just vanished."

I kept driving because I assumed we were minutes away from her house.

I pulled into her driveway.

"Look, I needed time to think," I tell her. She didn't say anything. Just got out of the car, crying.