Chapter 19

Diamond

When I woke up, I was alone. I called Vince to see where he went because I could have sworn he was laying on me sound asleep while we watched a movie in the living room.

I dialed the number and heard the ring. "Hello?" I heard his voice as the conversation started. He's probably at home.

"You left. Why?" I asked.

He replied with "I had to change clothes. I'll be ba- hold up, somebody's at the door." I guess he put the phone down. I still heard him yelling, "What you want, nigga?"Then, I heard shots that sounded like it came from several guns.

"Vince! Vince!" I yelled, but no answer. I started panicking!

It sounded like a robbery. "Vince! Answer me baby, please!"I pleaded, but didn't get an answer.

I just held the phone and screamed his name, hoping to get a reply.

I didn't.

I just cried. What else could I have done? Why him? Why me? Why us? I was weak but I tried to call his ma.

"Hello? M-M-Mrs.-" I stutter as my lips shake out of nervousness. How was she going to take this?

"Yes, Diamond? What is it?" Here we go.

"Are you home?" I stutter.

"I'm right around the corner now. Is everything okay?"

I broke down again. Disconnecting the call, I ran to my room and shut the door.

I put my face deep into the pillow for a minute. Drowning in my tears, memories of us came back. I always thought that only happened in the movies, but sure enough, they started to come back.

When we used to run every morning as kids, just to come back to my house to eat the entire kitchen. Or, the time we kissed in the old treehouse of mine. It all came back.

I hope he's okay. Maybe...I don't know.

I picked my phone up and texted him.