Entry 1 : I Have a Name!

"'Allo, Fiver."

I've heard this line so often that it's sickening. Nothing wrong with being
greeted, but it seems like our entire identities are irrelevant - because
we're all just researchers from the Fifth Fleet.
"Name's Freya."
I always make sure to say that in response to remind them that I have a soul and stuff, but I highly doubt it'll make much of a difference.
"Hey there, Freya!"
The only person that calls me by name all day, just so happens to be the most annoying Jaggi-brained schmuck in the Fifth Fleet. A stupidly orange haircut, shaved on the sides with a laughable patch directly on top of his head.
"Hi," I respond, thoroughly unaware of his name. I'll just call him JB, for Jaggi-Brain. I guess that makes us even.
"Ready for some good ol' fashioned, Monster Hunting!?!"
I can't help but shudder at his overly excited expression, and wriggling auburn eyebrows.
"I told you already, JB, I'm not a Field Researcher. Whacking enormous predators in the face is your job." Why did I say that? I've never seen a confused eyebrow wriggle, and seeing it now is making my skin crawl.
Maybe I took it too far with the "JB" thing.
"Are you accusing me of being some kind of hammerbro??" Okay, maybe his name actually is JB. "You're Kut-Ku Ka-razy if you
think that! I'd rather be slicing a monster's tail off!" He replied, so eagerly, his mouth seeming to move a little even after he was done talking. Contrary to this guy's behavior, he's actually an A-List hunter. An average schmuck wouldn't be able to tell, but if it's one thing I'm good at, its spotting a capable sword arm.

"Are you suggesting that something's wrong with hammer users?" Inserted
a shady woman from the mouth of the smithy, or as they call it here in
Astera, the Workshop.
"Huh?" JB turned around, freezing at the glare of the icy blue eyes that met his. "Raging Rajangs, Rhys! What are you doing here?!"
"Oh, just having the Second Fleet Commander add some freshly-broken Diablos Horns to my hammer." This lady's voice was sexy and smooth, and that pitch-black bobcut hairstyle only added to the high level of badassery she brought with her. If I were the type of girl that liked hunting, I'd want to be somewhat like her. Of course, I'm not a professional on monsters, but according to what I've read, Diablos is accurately named. It's a giant armored dragon that digs underground and gores its prey with enormous razor-sharp horns.
"Freshly b-broken, you say?" Replied JB, stepping back a bit. "Probably still didn't sever the tail though!" He jeered, before slithering away and hooking onto one of the many chain lifts scattered about Astera.
"I'll never get used to him," commented Rhys, sighing as she placed her pale hands on her hips. "Oh? You're also one of the new researchers," she added, turning toward me. I'm not sure why I was so intimidated by this woman, but the sense of fear brought on a strange amount of adoration.
"I'm Freya."
That's all I could say? Man, I'm a loser.
"Rhys. It's a pleasure," replied the stylish woman soundly. "Good luck. I'm
gonna try and find that fire-haired idiot."
I guess she didn't know JB's name either. Weirdly though, I feel like I've heard her name before. I would hope that a lady dressed like some kind of wizard running around with a giant monster masher would be more of a topic of conversation.

In all honesty, I can't stand Hunters. It's almost like killing the biggest monster is all that drives their every waking moment. Least of all, the equivocal Aptonoths that scratch their head when I tell them I'm from the mountainside district. I guess if you aren't referring to the Tradeyard, Workshop, or Canteen, Hunters generally don't know jack about the civilization they live in. It's not like they grow out of their stupidity, either - I mean, seriously, the Commander's cooked up a plan to "capture" the Zorah Magdaros. How the hell can you capture a volcano-sized behemoth, let alone the fact that the collossus just so happens to be an Elder Dragon? Researchers though, are so much worse. They spend all day and night studying carcasses and broken monster limbs to find out things that Hunters seem to know by default - kind of like that one idiot that came to the "amazing" conclusion that sulfur in a Rath's diet is processed in their body through Flame Sacs. That's just obvious. How else would they fly around toasting up the Ancient Forest in search of dead-animal-clad meatheads? All of it just so stressful. Everything would be way less complicated if the different branches of the Hunter's Guild actually communicated their knowledge to each other. Maybe it's stupid for me to pass judgment, being that I've never even laid eyes on a live monster before - but I definitely don't want to, and don't understand why anyone would. I'm perfectly content with just reading about them. Plopping down on my bed after simply pushing the door open, I can't help but think about him. The main reason I hate Hunters.