Entry 14 : Blank Canvas

This idiot knows for a fact that I wouldn't let him sleep in the Dungeon. After all, I was assigned by the Hunter's Guild to take care of this doofus. The fact that he's been alive this entire time means they owe me one hell of a backpay check. He's sleeping peacefully on my bed, in perfect condition, like he never disappeared. I remember the days where I couldn't force this guy to just sit down somewhere, he was always on one mission or another.
He claims to have lost all his memory, but maybe it's from the fight with that legendary Elder Dragon? He's not the type to joke about things like this. That's okay though. He saved me when we were kids, and never gave up on me. I'll return the favor and make him remember who I am. Only now that I've been given a second chance, I'll tell him how I really feel.
Long hair looks so strange on him, the crimson blanket sprawling wildly behind his head. I can't help but touch it, running my fingers through the gentle flames.
"I'll show you an adventure," he told me, all those years ago. I remember constantly getting rescued by the Palicoes from the Guild, trying weapon after weapon and never succeeding. I wasn't good at medicines, or biology, or even cooking. Still, he registered me as his Guildmarm, letting me get paid to literally do nothing but wait for him to come back.
My fingers grazed across something terrifying. A jagged rampart, spanning a large portion of his head.

I can't bear to look away from the sight before me. A scar from a wound that looks deathly deep, a diagonal arc from the middle of his head to behind his ear. My eyes are refusing to close, only letting my eyebrows twitch in horror at the bulging scar tissue. How is he even alive? Tears aren't even forming before they roll from my eyes. They're just pouring directly out, starting from one eye and the other catching up shortly afterward.
I don't understand. Karo was probably the best Hunter in his region, so.. how did this happen? My body just jumps back, realizing now that I'm a literal stranger, watching him sleep. This unbreakable bond formed by memories of both pain and joy, now only exist inside my head, and nowhere else.

"Psst. Officer, wake up."
What the heck, why is there some weirdo in my roo-- oh, wait. It's just Karo.
"Yes, Karo?"
"Got any food? I'm starving."
Eat deez nuts, you forgetful son of a Brachydios. "Yes, check my pantry. I have some Queen Shrimp, preserved in Frost Sacs. Lee left them a few days ago." Of course he did, probably only to irritate me. Everyone knows I can't stand shellfish.
After a brief moment of silence, Karo poke me back awake. "Do you have anything other than that?"
"Karo, what the heck, man?"
"I can't stand shrimp."
At this point I had to wake the heck up, because Karo was that shrimp muncher afficianado. "Boi. Stop playing with me and go to sleep."
"I can't stand the smell of shrimp. And the whole 'bottomfeeder' thing just grosses me out."
This has got to be a dream. I said those exact same words, years ago! I got up and cooked him one of the only things I wouldn't burn, a burger. Luckily, that part of him is the same - the part that'll eat anything as long as it fills him up(except shrimp), because I sure can't cook. He looks so much happier like this. At least his life has been good without me in it.