Entry 11 : Chance

Days later, and it seems like no-one's gotten over the whole "using the majority of Astera's resources for a failed mission" thing, and honestly it's understandable. Not the plan, no, that was ridiculous. But the way people are feeling only makes sense. There's been some research quests being launched daily, to either find the purpose of the Zorah Magdaros's journey, or to refresh the many resources wasted in that expedition. I haven't heard from Lee since that fight with Nergigante. In fact, many Hunters ended up in the ICU after that day. I guess that Elder Dragon Barricade Tackle hurt a lot more people than one would think. I walked around the Tradeyard on my typical patrol, genuinely relieved that I get to trot around Astera all day without getting blasted by fireballs and porcupine spikes and teeth.
"Allo, Fiver." I turn at the Gallic accent calling out to me. It's the Resource Center clerk, local heartthrob, but only because of her hairstyle. It's neatly braided to her scalp into a pigtail on one side, then long, wild and sexy on the other side.
Okay and maybe the accent, brightly colored eyes and chocolate skin. "What's up?" I attempted to be the cool cop, because quite frankly she's kinda awesome as heck.
"The Huntsman called for a meeting, and wanted me to pass the word to all Astera Policemen I see today."
"Thanks!" I say, uncharacteristically, wanting to walk just as calmly off a bridge. Man, the Huntsman annoys me.

"As with all civilizations where Hunters exist, Monsters are beginning to see us as food," he started, sitting in a chair with his palms pressed against the top of his thighs. "The recent fiasco involved a Great Jagras, and it nearly swallowed a civilian whole. They're starting to creep into Astera, and we need a reliable vanguard."
Why is this happening to me? DAMN IT. I'm searching in the deepest sections of my database for excuses or shortcuts that I can take to avoid having to get bitten by giant animals. I'm one of very few in the crowd of Police Officers who actually seem uneasy instead of excited, so even though I'm not alone I'm sticking out like a crouched Wiggler in a Kelbi field. The Huntsman grunted this condescending chuckle, like he's itching for battle but he's actually itching to sit around and commentate on everyone else's battles.
"This is the new duty of the Astera Police Department. If this is not what you signed up for, feel free to leave and you will be judged not."
Fantastic news, you green bastard. You're darn skippy this isn't what I signed up for. I couldn't fight the little happy dance I started doing, excited as hell to power walk out of here.
"I repeat, if protecting the people of Astera from all dangers foreign and domestic, putting your lives on the line for the common people, is not what you signed up for, please leave this conference."

Oh, I see how you want to play. My toes are wiggling, probably clapping at how excited they are to be trotting the heck out of here in a second.
"If you are fine with trading the lives of farmers, shopkeeps, and children for your own safety on the sole account of them being strangers in your eyes..." Crap, everyone's faltering. They're looking around to see if we're all still gonna bounce, and I can tell because I'm also looking around in pure guilt. This crusty, "En garde!" looking ass, beak helmet wearing mofo. Now no-one is leaving! My toes are no longer clapping. Now they're hugging each other tightly, just like my buttcheeks.
"Then by all means, leave in peace." WELL I MEAN WOW BUDDY HOW CAN SOMEBODY LEAVE IN 'PEACE' AT THIS POINT? That's okay. Everyone is just like me, waiting for someone else to throw up deuces. I'll just be a leader for once in my life. He's still talking about something, but it's unimportant. I don't want to be eaten. My life is valuable. There is nothing wrong with me wanting to be one of the civilians to be protected. After all, I can't wield a weapon! I'm too much of a noodle! I'd only be holding everyone back, so not only am I going to walk out of here, I'm gonna switch hard as hell and throw my badge on the floor on my way out. I'm done being dragged in one way or the other on other peoples' accounts. I'm gonna stand up for m--
"Alright, everyone! The people of Astera appreciate your bravery. From this day forth, I coronate you as the Astera Ground Defense Force!"
wHAT the H E C K. Everyone's cheering. I MISSED MY CHANCE NOOOO