Part 5

STEVE

It's a solemn plane ride back. Bruce sits in the back, muttering to himself, Rhodey paces from the front to the back of the plane. The Wakandan people stayed behind to clean up their messes, and eventually pass the kingdom to Shuri, hopefully only temporarily.
We land the plane nearing on midnight and no one talks as we exit.
I lead the other two up the stairs and into the main area. Bruce has never been here before and looks suitably impressed.
I stop once I see Thor sitting beside Pepper who's fast asleep on the sofa. Thor notices us and stands up, walking towards us, making sure not to wake Pepper.
'Clint survived, as did his daughter Lila, but his wife and other two didn't make it. I found Scott's car but he wasn't there. I tried to call Fury but he wasn't answering.'
'Right. Okay, and Tony?' I ask, hopeful.
'Nothing.' He replies.
'Okay. We need a meeting. Tomorrow though.' I say.
'Bruce, there's a room upstairs next to Steve's, Rhodey you know where you're going. I'll see you all tomorrow.' He says, and Rhodey walks off without any further inquiries.
'Do you need a room?' I ask Thor, unsure whether he sleeps or not.
'I'll stay with Pepper.' He says. Thor sits beside Pepper and it is a comforting thing to see. I know Tony would be grateful to Thor for watching over Pepper as he is doing.
I lead Bruce up the stairs and into his own room. Tony got carried away and personalised all our rooms for us. Bruce had a science station to one corner and I can't help but laugh a little as I see The Hulk Pillow Cases. Bruce shares the smile.
'I'll see you tomorrow.' I say, shutting the door behind me and heading into my own room. I realise that none of us would be sleeping. We would all be sitting on our beds, at our desks, pacing the rooms, for the whole night.
Tony made my room when we were still not talking, so my room is a lot less personalised than the others. He placed a punch bag in one corner and a record player in the other with a collection of old vinyl. There's not much more I would ask for and I flick through the records finding something I know.
Tony's done his research; all of the records are from my time and I like most of them. I put one on a low volume and check the rest of the drawers of the desk.
Most of them are empty, but the top right one holds a picture frame with the picture of me and Bucky coming back from the German prisoner of war camp, the day I rescued him.
I look at the picture, at Bucky. He's aged so much. I cannot think as him as dead, only temporarily gone. I'll get him back, I have to.
I place the frame on my desk and head over to the punch bag. I waste the night kicking and punching and soon find there's a knock on my door.
'Pepper.' I say as I open the door, 'Hey.'
'Hey Steve, it's good to see you.' She smiles and gives me a brief hug and I return the favour.
'You too. Any news?' I ask.
'It's chaos. People are trying to get in touch with family and can't, planes have come down when a pilot disappeared, car crashes. People don't know how to act.' She says.
'And Tony.' I ask hesitantly.
'Nothing yet.'
'Can you help me get everyone in the meeting room? We need to talk about what we're going to do.' Pepper nods and heads over to Bruce's room as I head downstairs.
I manage a glimpse in and see Banner at his desk, working with different liquids. I don't dwell.
I knock at Clint's door first. He opens after a moment and tries to whisper something before Lila pops up next to him.
'She won't sleep unless I'm right next to her. The second I move away she's awake. Sorry Steve, what did you want?'
'It's no problem, we're going to have a meeting in ten. Lila can come too if she needs to, we won't get to graphic.'
'I appreciate it.' He says, 'We'll be out in a bit.'
I round up Natasha and Rhodey too and soon were all sitting around the table, several empty chairs and Lila sitting on Clint's lap.
'Okay.' I say to silence, 'we need a plan to beat Thanos, but right now I think we need to focus on everyone still here.'
'What do you mean?' Natasha asks.
'There have been car crashes, plane crashes, people are trying to get in contact with other people. We need to get out there and help. Thor can help find people who are in different countries or states, natasha and Clint, you can help round people up with nowhere to go and help distribute temporary housing. Rhodey, you can check the roads, make sure no ones left out there, I'll-' I pause after a noise comes from downstairs.
'Tony.' Pepper says quietly, hopefully.
The door opens and Tony stands, stepping out of his armour, with a blue girl behind him.
Pepper jumps up and runs towards him, wrapping her legs around his waist and burying her head in his shoulder. 'Don't leave me again.' She says quietly, 'you were right.' Tony closes his eyes and hugs her tight. They stay still for almost a minute. The blue girl stares at each one of us, no shame in staring.
'Where are the rest?' Thor asks, breaking the silence.
'The rest?' Natasha asks.
'The spider boy. Peter. And Strange.' Bruce adds.
'And the space people. The green one and the blue male, and the human.' Tony lets go of Pepper and she stands beside him.
'They're gone. Strange, Quill, Gamora, Drax, Mantis...Peter.' He doesn't meet anyone's eyes.
'But Strange has the timestone. What happened?' Bruce asks.
'Thanos stabbed me,' He lifts up his shirt to show a deep wound. 'Strange gave up the timestone to save me. I don't know why. An hour before he was prepared for all of us to die to keep it. What happened down here, are you...is this it?' He asks.
'We lost Wanda, Vision, Sam, T'challa. That tree. A load of Wakandan people, their queen. Shuri's taking over until further notice.' Rhodey says, staring at Tony.
'Mummy's gone too.' Lila speaks up, on the verge of tears.
'She'll be back, darling. And your brothers.' Clint closes his eyes as Lila hides her face in his shoulder again. He opens them a moment later to Tony staring at him, his mouth slightly open, desperate for a plan of some sort.
'I need to...I need to do something.' Tony says. Pepper grabs onto his arm, 'It's not dangerous, I promise. I'll be back in an hour. I have to go.'
He backs up and out the door and we all stand in silence for a moment.
'So this is earth.' The blue girl says in a deep voice.
'Who are you?' Thor asks, standing.
'Thanos' daughter.' She says instantly.
'I met your sister.'
'She's dead.'
'I'm sorry to hear it.' He reaches her and touches her lightly on the arm.
'So am I.' She says, leaving us in silence once more.