Part 16

NATASHA

It feels odd, everyone being together again. With the exception of Thor. I stay close to Bruce, used to his presence. I wonder whether our relationship will suffer from being around old friends, but I push that thought aside.
I sit the opposite side of the plane to Steve, unsure how to continue with our relationship, he was my friend, but he left. I can understand why he did, but it's been a year, more than a year, and he didn't call once.
We land at the old avengers' compound and the air is muggy when I step out the plane.
'You kept it up?' I ask, falling into a walk beside Tony, who carries a sleeping Peter.
'You never know.' He says, simply. 'Pepper and I live about half an hour drive away, we didn't want to go anywhere too new.'
'How's she doing?' I ask.
'Good. She's in control of everything. My mum'd go mad, I'm more the stay at home parent, Pepper's the working one.' He says.
'There are worse ways to live.' I say, absentmindedly. He smiles slightly and nods.
'I called Pepper on the plane to meet us here, she might already be here. As for Thor...'
'You've called, if he hears he'll come.' I say. We walk a little further, the rest following behind, when the sun starts to disappear. 'Speak of the devil.'
Dark clouds start to form and lighting strikes in the centre of the walkway. Tony turns away, shielding Peter from the light.
Thor lands on one knee, axe in his right hand, and Rocket sitting on his left shoulder.
'Man that never gets old.' Rocket says, jumping off his shoulder and stretching out.
'You called?' Thor asks, standing high, his short hair having grown down to below his ears.
'We've got a situation.' I say, looking towards Tony.
'A child!' Thor says, walking towards Tony and the now crying Peter. 'He is yours?'
'About five months old. He's mine alright.' Tony says, rocking Peter to try get him back to sleep. 'He's called Peter.'
'After the Spiderboy.' Thor says, quietly.
Tony stays silent for a moment, everyone else catching up from behind us. 'Yeah. Named him after Pete. Seemed right.'
'I'm sorry not to have met him before, you understand I had to rule the remainder of my people.' Thor says, apologetic.
'Of course.' Tony says, continuing to walk towards the door.
The door opens before we get there and Pepper storms out. 'You take my child on an American tour?' She says, walking towards Tony and taking Peter from him.
'I wasn't just going to leave him here.' He says in defense.
'You've got...everyone's here.' She says, looking round.
'It's good to see you again, Pepper.' I say, as she moves forward to kiss me on the cheek.
'You too. Congratulations on Peter. He's lovely.' I say, as others mutter greetings.
She stops once she gets to Steve. He smiles slightly and says, 'I'm sorry I couldn't make it to your wedding.'
'You have nothing to apologise for.' She says, pulling him into a hug. 'It's good to have you back.'
Thor walks to my side and pokes me on the shoulder. 'So what is this in aid of. I haven't been called to Earth in a while.'
'Yeah it seemed pretty urgent and I don't like to miss no things that might be dangerous.' Rocket says from Thor's side.
'We think there might be a chance to save the others. The ones we lost.' Thor bites his lip and Rocket climbs up Thor so he's eye level with me.
'Are you messing? Cause I haven't got time for this. Groot's dead and I'm getting over it.' Rocket says.
'It's a chance, not definite. We can't know.' I say.
'This is...not including Loki.' Thor says after a moment.
'I don't...I don't think so. I'm sorry Thor.' I say, reaching out for his shoulder.
'I am happy for the chance to see the others again. I'm sure Loki will turn up when he wishes too, perhaps as a snake, or a dagger. He likes those.' Thor says, wistfully.
'Yeah I'm sure he will.' Rocket says, patting Thor on the head, 'This brother of yours sounds like fun.'
'Yes, he was loved by many for his irksome ways.' Thor says.
'He sure was that.' I say, for Thor's benefit. I follow everyone into the compound and we soon find ourselves at our conference room, in our seats we always sat in.
'Did no one...where's Carol?' Steve asks, looking round.
'Her and Shuri stayed behind.' Tony replies, 'turns out Carol isn't really a people person.'
'Tony, I love that everyone's back, but what's going on? Is something wrong? Who's Carol?' Pepper asks, holding Peter right.
'We're not done with Thanos yet. We're bringing everyone back.'