Part 21

CAROL

If it were my choice, I would not have slept at all, but I needed to be well rested, I needed to trust myself to bring the people who were so willing to trust me home.
I wake screaming, and it takes me a full minute to remember that I am not on a spaceship, that I am not about to die, not being exposed to the worst nuclear radiation possible. Not watching my colleagues die around me.
I go to the toilet and turn on the shower, wanting to get rid of the sweat that I woke up drenched in.
I wash off quickly and rap a towel around me to dry, not wanting to know what time it was.
A knock on my door and I hesitate to answer. I am not good with people, not new people at least, at the very least not people my age. Shuri has been kind and I am fine talking to her, but the others bring a long forgotten anxiety that came with Earth culture. I never liked people, which is why I always dreamt of space.
I open the door and Steve stands there, tracksuit bottoms and a baggy shirt.
'I heard water running. Just wanted to check everything was okay?' He asks.
'Yeah. Yes. I'm good. Early riser.' I say, unsure how to continue the conversation.
'Are you ready?' He asks, dropping right into the serious business. 'Do you really think you can do this?'
'I know I can get you in, it's whether we're able to get you out. I don't know what the soul stone is building to resist our attempts, but if it's with Thanos you can garuntee there will be resistance.'
'Well we've got nothing to lose.' He says.
'You've got half of everything to loss.' I say in response.
He looks at me for an uncomfortable amount of time, and hen nods, 'You might be right.' He says, 'I'll let you get back to...' He filters off at the end, unsure how to finish.
'Thank you.' I say, smiling and shutting the door after he walks away. He seems nice enough, but something about him unsettled me. I'd heard of him before I left Earth, Captain America, the saviour of America. Sacrificed himself for us. I had a poster of him on my wall when I was younger. But he seems different to how they portrayed him. I'm not sure how different, just different.
I lie on the floor, not used to the comfort of a bed, and turn on my side to try go back to sleep.