Part 49

PETER Q

The service begins to disperse and, while it was difficult to keep Mantis from investigating random people and Drax from insulting them, I find that I am glad to have gone. I didn't know Tony for long and I didn't know Steve at all. But I'd grown up reading comic books about Captain America; I never met him but from the ages of seven to twelve I idolised him and I'm bitter that I never got to meet him.
And although Tony and I disagreed a fair amount in the brief time we knew each other, I respected him. An hour or two after the final fight I began to realise how close Thor and Rocket had become. Rocket and Groot we're off somewhere together now, and Drax, Mantis and Nebula were by the bar, enquiringly about different drinks and the notion of getting drunk.
I stand just outside the Marque with Thor. Shuri, T'challa and Bucky has left a while back, and others where on the verge of leaving too.
'So.' I say, not knowing where I'm going with this conversation.
'So?' Thor enquires.
'You spent a lot of time with Rocket. In the last year.' I say, looking out across the wide expanse of land to the avengers building.
'I did. He's a fine companion.' Thor says.
'I appreciate you looking out for him.' I say.
'It was no task.' Thor says, I looks at him out the corner of my eye and find he is looking up into the evening sky. 'I enjoyed it. We had both lost people and it was good to have the company.'
'He stayed with you in...what's it...? Asgard?' I ask.
'No, no. Asgard was destroyed. My people live in the skies for now. I've sent several parties out to look for suitable settling areas but we've come up empty so far. He stayed with me up there, helped me look.' His says
'Right.' I say. 'I mean...obviously we're back now...I was thinking...'
'Of course.' Thor says, cutting me off, 'I would not expect to stay with Rocket. He is your friend I understand.'
'No!' I say quickly, 'no, no. I was going to say...I mean, we're kind of at a loss right now. We lost someone close to us, and obviously we're a bit out of sync with Rocket. I was thinking, I mean space is our element. Just the whole...general kind of space area. So I was thinking maybe we could...I don't know, maybe check out your place for a while, maybe help look for a new place for you guys to settle down?'
I avoid Thor's gaze for as long as I can but as I look up I find him staring at me. Despite everything I do find him slightly intimidating.
'I have fought beside your people, and I would be honoured to have them join my people, temporary or permanently. Rocket has proved a good ally, and I trust his friends.'
At this moment, Drax walks up to us, Nebula following with Mantis thrown over her shoulder.
'Hey!' I shout as they come over and I see Mantis has passed out, 'what the hell happened?!'
'Mantis' body can't handle human alcohol. I tried to tell her but Drax wouldn't listen.' Nebula says. She looks at me and quickly looks away. I know she's unsure where she falls with us, whether she'll join us after all of this, whether she's welcome. But I know Gamora loves her and would have wanted us to accept her as one of our own.
'Do not blame me for this! I was curious!' Drax says, turning round to face Nebula.
'How are you not to blame?' Nebula asks, stepping up to face Drax.
'Quill. Look at her, she is standing close to my face. That is rude and invading of my privacy. Tell her to stop.' Drax says, turning to me.
'Okay. Okay. Enough. This is not the place, alright you guys? Just get to the ship and...' I pause in my sentence, 'Where's my ship? Ohh God, where's my ship.'
'Left of the building.' Nebula says, quietly. 'I kept it running.'
Relief hits me and I smile, 'Thank god. Okay. Drax go get Groot and Rocket tell them we're heading off soon.' Drax grunts and walks off without another word, 'okay Nebula can you carry Mantis to her bed? And then set up the ship ready to go.'
'Where are you going?' She asks, avoiding my eyes.
'I was thinking we could join Thor for a while. You up for that?' I ask, purposely looking away as I say it so I don't have to see her reaction.
'Yeah.' She says after a moment, 'yeah that works.' She stands for a moment then heads off over to the ship, Mantis over her shoulder.
'You coming?' I ask as I start walking away and Thor doesn't follow.
'I'll join you in a moment.' He says, 'I need to say some goodbyes.'