Part 25

PETER

'How's Aunt May? Did she survive?' I ask, hesitantly. If I've been away for a year, I'm scared as to what might have happened.
'She's fine. I mean obviously she's not fine, but she's alive and well. She's working at some preschool as an assistant. She doesn't exactly like my check ups on her.' Tony says as I follow him around the room I've memorised.
'How come?'
'She blames me for your death.' He says, not looking at me.
'Well that's crap.' I say, to which he doesn't reply. 'You know that's not true, right?'
'Well kid, I bought you into this mess. I shouldn't have bought you into a fight that wasn't yours.' He says, stopping beside the wall.
'I'd still have gone. Whether I was fighting or not, that wouldn't have changed.' I say, watching him.
'Yeah, well kid, you didn't make it and I told you before, if you die it's on me.'
'Well that's just arrogant.' I say, for the first time finding idiocy in what he's saying, 'Mr.Stark I idolise you. You're a superhero. You're a genius but you're so arrogant.'
'Kid-'
'No, you have to stop with this self deprecating shit. Not everything is your fault, okay? This is on Thanos, and no one else.' We stand where we are a for a long time. Time passes differently in here, we could have been standing a minute or an hour before Tony speaks again.
'Did I tell you I had a son?' He says quietly.
'No. No that didn't...congratulations' I say, unsure how to react. 'I didn't know Pepper was pregnant.'
'She told me when I came back from space. Just after Thanos got rid of half the population.'
'What's his name?' I ask. He doesn't answer at first, just looks at me.
'Peter.' He says after a moment.
'What?'
'No, his name is Peter.' He says, looking at the floor.
'You makes your son...after me?' I ask, confused and flattered. I think for a moment maybe I've got it wrong, names after some other Peter.
'Yeah. Peter Rupert Stark.' He coughs a little to cover the silence, 'Rupert's Rhodey's middle name. He hated it so i thought I'd name my son after him.'
'I'm sure he'll appreciate it.' I say, still thinking over everything. 'You named your son after me.' I say, clarifying.
'What can I say, I missed you.' He says, continuing to check the wall.
'I'd like to meet him.' I say, quietly as Tony continues looking at the walls.
'I'd like that too, kid.'