Part 9

TONY

'Like a ladder? Or maybe like a rope?' She asks, unfazed by her crash landing.
'You're a woman.' Shuri says beside me. Of all the things to be surprised about, I figured gender was not it. I decided to use her weakened spot to gain some information.
'Who are you?' I ask, multiple scenarios running through my head, mostly bad, but a few contained the idea of getting everyone back. But I pushed that thought away, it had taken too long to get over it the first time. I hold Peter a little tighter and bend over the side to watch her walk about.
'Carol.' She says.
'Carol? Are you joking? Carol? Who are you?!' I repeat the question.
'I mean, Captain Marvel if we're going formal but I can never get used to that, just call me Carol.' She says, walking to the edge of the crater and testing the sides to see if she can climb up.
'Where did you come from?' Shuri asks from beside me. Although she was the one who came to me looking for this person, I don't think she truly believed anyone would turn up.
'I was just...you know...up there.' She says, pointing vaguely to the sky, still trying to climb up the wall. 'Spacejammers. All that Jazz. I got a call from, God whats his name? The guy with the eye?'
'You know Fury?' I ask, bewildered by this horribly casual conversation.
'Yes! Fury! Got a call from him, came down to check it out.' She says getting a meter or so up the side and falling back down.
'That was a year ago.' Shuri says quietly.
'The call? No I got it about a week ago.' She says, stopping her attempts to get out and staring at Shuri.
'It's been a year.' I say, not sure how to feel. 'Thanos got rid of half the population, and Fury must have though you could do something.'
'Thanos? Was here?' She asks, turning serious for the first time.
'A year ago.' Shuri reiterates.
Carol steps back and effortlessly jumps out the crater.
'What the hell?' I bring one hand to my head, barely able to comprehend the events unfolding in front of me. 'Why didn't you just do that five minutes ago?'
'To show I didn't mean harm.' She says, looking down at Peter. 'Is he yours?'
'Peter.' I say in reluctant response.
'He's beautiful. Now tell me everything about what happened with Thanos and I'll do what I can.'