Part 38

CLINT

There's an eerie silence surrounding us all. Wanda stand a few feet to the left of me and we share a quick look, no words. I hold my bow lightly in my hand, quivers full of arrows on my back. I've scattered spare quivers all over the surrounding forest so that I can find more if I run out.
I look behind me and it takes me a couple seconds to find all the Wakandan people scattered, so strong in their camouflage.
Suddenly there are several small pods hurtling towards us. One lands to the North and I hear the sound of gun shots and a storm stirs around it and I know Thor is fighting.
I face ahead as I watch one pod land almost directly in front of me.
'Are you ready?' I ask Wanda.
'This is the warm up.' She says as the doors open and Thanos' army pours out.
She raises her hands and a red glow surrounds the front few enemies. I pull arrows out picking off the ones she misses one after the other.
We work well together, not letting any past us for the first five minutes of fighting. But soon more ships land behind the first and there are too many to hold off.
I am no longer aware of how Wanda is doing, only sure she is alive when I see a brief glimpse of red out of the corner of my eye.
I set up another arrow and aim for one of three heading towards me. It goes through his head but the others keep coming and I find myself up against a tree.
I whip the bow round and use it as a weapon, hitting them away, but as I knock those two away, more come up to me.
I trip as I walk backwards and drop my bow. I take an arrow out and try to stab the closest one. But I'm overwhelmed. For the first time in a long time I am at a loss as to what to do.
I cover my face, and have a momentary sense of acceptance. If I die fighting, then I die well.
A rush of air goes past me and I find I'm still alive. I open my eyes and see a scatter of dead bodies in front of me. I stand up and pick my bow back up.
I look around and see Wanda far in the distance, fighting her own battle.
And then Tony drops beside me, dressed in his suit.
'I got you.' He says, his mask coming up briefly and showing a rare smile.
Another rush of air to my left and I see a flash of red and blue. Tony's trainee, Peter, drops to a step beside me.
'Mr.Stark, this suit is awesome. Absolutely...wow.' He looks around, a mound of energy.
'Alright kid, there are more coming.' Toy says, smiling at me.
'You got...you both...it worked.' I say, out of breathe.
'Yeah, it did.' Tony says, putting his mask back on as another ship lands.
Tony flies a few feet off the ground and Peter starts running along side him to fight the enemy head on.
I wait for a moment, listening to the sounds of battle surrounding me. I try not to think of the death toll, whether everyone has survived, it takes me a moment to push it out of my mind before I run after Tony and Peter and back into the battle.