Seven.

"Daddy!" Tim shouted as Luke pulled up outside Michaels home.

"Hey Timmy, I missed you," Luke smiled as he hugged his son, glad to have him back for another week. 

"You're late Luke," Michael stated, walking out his front door with Tim's bag. Luke could see clothes sticking out the zipper, he just knew Michael hadn't folded those clothes. 

"I got caught up Mike, some of us work," Luke replied in a tight lipped smile. He wasn't lying, but he also didn't want to tell Michael he had been with Ashton. That would just infuriate him, and make it harder for them to have their talk about Tim. "While I'm here though, we need to talk. Can I come in?"

"Yeah, be quick. The boys are coming over later. C'mon Tim," Michael quickly turned back around to walk back into the house. 

Luke hadn't totally lied, he had been doing work all day. After having such a slow week, everything suddenly picked up and Luke had to spend his quiet weekend working. However, he did fail to admit that Ashton had been with him for half the morning and they'd gone out for coffee - but he wasn't going to tell Michael that. 

Luke just knew Michael would be angry, and it would make this conversation even harder to have. It was hard enough to get the man to listen as it was. 

Since Luke had built up the courage to text Ashton, the two had spoken constantly and gone out for coffee twice. Luke thought that was all pretty good. 

Luke thought Ashton was pretty good. 

Despite spending most of his time talking to and thinking about Ashton, neither had made a move. Both still feeling too scared to push their crumbling boundaries. 

They didn't want to ruin something good by making any stupid, rash decisions. Not that they told the other they felt that way, not that they didn't spend all their time wanting to make those rash moves. 

"Alright, what do you want to talk about, Luke?" Michael asked, putting Tim's bag back down and sitting on the couch. 

Looking around the messy living room, Luke searched for a seat before pushing a pile of God knows what onto the floor and sitting across from Michael. 

"We need to talk about Tim and how much time you get to spend with him," Luke started. Now that he was actually having this conversation, he felt nervous. He could feel his palms sweating. 

"Excuse me? And whats wrong with our agreement?" Michael asked, becoming tense and hardening his look on Luke. 

Luke hated confronting Michael about his issues, he got so intimidating sometimes. 

"Well...well its just, every time he comes home he's always hungry. You never give him proper food Mike, and his clothes are always dirty! You don't even fold his clothes!" Luke could feel himself getting worked up, he could feel the blood rising in his body. "You don't even have a job right now Mike, you just sit around and play your stupid video games and smoking with your friends. It's not okay, not anymore."

"What the fuck has brought this on Luke? You've never had an issue with it before," Michael replied shortly. He didn't understand why Luke suddenly wanted to take his son from him. 

"Because I'm sick of having to play the role of both parents all the time Mike. I'm having to pay extra costs for kindergarten and for the doctor and all his new things. I feel like I'm the only one really looking after him here, Mike," Luke replied, pausing to catch his breath. He knew he needed to be calm to do this. "You're not looking after him."

"And what do you want me to do, Luke? I can't just change my life!" Michael bit back. 

"Are you fucking serious? You're not willing to change your shitty habits for your own sons benefit?" Luke burst out, he hated swearing - especially when he knew Tim was in the other room, but he couldn't help himself. "I'm giving you three weeks Michael, three weeks to sort your shit and then I'm going to a lawyer and getting legal custody of my son. This stops now Michael, we haven't been together for a long time. I can't keep running after you and holding up your end of the deal."

Luke stood up, grabbing Tim and his bag before strutting out the door and to his car. 

-

"He was so angry Cal," Luke spoke into the phone. "He didn't even think that the way he's been acting was wrong."

"Did you tell him about the three weeks?" Calum replied, worried for his best friend. He knew Luke hated confrontation and struggled to stand up to Michael. 

"I did, he wasn't happy. I left pretty quick after that."

"That's good, I'm proud of you Luke. You shouldn't have to deal with his shit like that, not after all this time."

"Thanks Cal," Luke smiled, lifting his head from his hands as there was a knock at his door. "I've gotta go, I'll see you tomorrow."

Luke put his phone on the bench, walking towards the door and smiling at who was on the other side. Tim had gone to bed, Luke knew he wouldn't get up until he had to. He always crashed after spending the week at Michaels. 

Luke had invited Ashton over, he'd seen the boy earlier that morning but that hadn't been enough. He needed more of him. 

"Hey Luke," Ashton smiled in the doorway to Luke's apartment. 

"Hey," Luke smiled back. He felt an invisible blanket wrap itself around his body as he stared at Ashtons smile. Ashton made him feel good. "Come in, I made cookies earlier."

Ashton gratefully stepped into Lukes apartment, grateful at the warmth and tidiness of the place. Living in a dorm wasn't exactly Ashtons favourite thing, he liked his own space and hated living in a mess. His roommate was always messy.

Ashton also liked coming to Lukes place, he'd only been a few times but it felt good. It felt homey. 

Sitting across from one another, Luke and Ashton spoke calmly and easily. All the awkwardness they felt was fading away, they let themselves act freely towards the other. 

But, neither had yet made a move. 

-

Not the best, at least Luke had his chat with Michael. 

What are your thoughts? What do you want to see happen? 

- Grace