Twenty-Six

Luke stood off to the side as he watched ten toddlers run around his apartment. He had tried to keep up with them for a while but they had gotten too hyper and Luke needed to save his energy for the five more still to show and the few hours he'd be spending with them all. 

A knock at the door took his watchful eye of the children, leaving Ashton to watch them as he made his was to the door. 

"Maria! Hi, how are you?" Luke smiled as he opened the door to the young woman and her son, both smiling back at him. 

"Good, we're good. Did you want me to stay a while? I can only imagine watching after 15 toddlers on your own is hard work," Maria smiled at Luke as she shuffled her son through the front door. 

"If you want, yeah that'd be great. A few others are coming back soon to help watch over them."

Leading the two new guests into the living room, both parents smiled as there was a delighted squeal from Tim as he saw another one of his friends show up. 

Standing off to the side again, Luke leant against Ashtons side; feeling absolutely exhausted. 

"Ash, this is Maria. She's Josh's mum. Maria, this is my boyfriend Ashton," Luke smiled between them as they shook hands. 

"I've heard about you, every time Tim comes over he's just gushing about his friend Ashton," Maria smiled at Ashton who was blushing slightly at her words. "It's lovely to meet you."

"You too," Ashton smiled back. 

Prior to all of Tim's classmates arriving for his birthday party and all their parents coming by; Ashton had felt nervous. It was almost worse than when he had gone to meet Luke's parents. He knew Luke had struggles with being such a young parent, he didn't want the others to think any less of him because he was bringing and 19 year old into that life. 

But Ashton knew he didn't need to be nervous. He knew Luke wouldn't let that get in the way of them and their relationship, he'd made it clear to Ashton that he wouldn't let anybody elses' opinion stand in their way. 

More importantly; Ashton had spent much of the morning worrying about Luke. The older man had been feeling so hopeful that Michael would show up and be civil after their talk. But Luke was yet to hear from or see the man, despite texting him a few reminders throughout the week that he was hoping to see him at the party. 

"Babe, you alright?" Ashton asked, rubbing Luke's back as the older man chewed on his thumb nail an stared at his front door. 

"Yeah, I'm just scared Michael isn't gonna show," Luke sighed out and turned to look at his boyfriend with his eyebrows furrowed in worry. "I thought he would after last week. He said he'd try, I don't want him to miss out on this."

"I'm sure he'll show up, Luke. You know he doesn't want to miss out on this," Ashton brought his arms around Luke's waist, smiling small at him to try comfort him. "It'll all be okay."

Luke leant to the side, into Ashtons hold as he watched his son happily play with all his friends. 

"I just want him to be happy," Luke mumbled out, keeping his stare right on his son. 

"He is Luke, don't doubt yourself." 

Luke didn't reply as more parents with their children arrived to the party, all gathering in the living room to help watch over all the kids and eat all the food Luke had spent his whole night baking for them all. 

As he was getting himself ready to light the five candles on Tim's birthday cake, a knock on his front door stopped Luke. Quickly scurrying out of the kitchen and to the door, Luke took a deep breath in hopes of seeing the one person he was hoping to show up behind the door.