Twenty-Seven.

"Hey Ashton," Ashton looked up from the book in front of him, quickly putting it away, as someone took the seat opposite him. "I'm glad you could make it, I hope I'm not taking you from any studies."

"No, no. It's fine, truly," Ashton responded, smiling at the man opposite him. "You wanted to talk about something?"

"Yeah, I wanted to thank you actually."

"Thank me? Calum, what do you have to thank me for?" Ashton asked, confused at the raven haired boys comment.

"Just, everything with Luke. I haven't seen him this happy or relaxed in a long time. I can't remember the last time he was like this. You've stuck around for even the worst moments in the past year, I can barely name two other twenty-three year olds that would do the same, none-the-less a nineteen year old," Calum smiled at Ashton, hoping to get across how grateful he was for everything Ashton had done for his best friend.

"I love him, why wouldn't I want to stick around?" Ashton smiled, everyone around him acted as though what he had been doing was heroic. As though he was doing something exceptional. But to Ashton; all he was doing was showing the person he loved most how much he loved and cared for him.

"I know Luke doesn't talk about it a lot, nor does he like to. But you've really done a lot for him. This time a year and a half ago he would've been too stressed and anxious about Tim to focus on himself or anything else in life, but now he is looking after himself," Calum pushed again, not thinking that Ashton truly understood how grateful he truly was.

Smiling once again and looking down at the coffee in front of him, Ashton thought about the beautiful blonde he'd spent almost a whole year thinking about.

"He deserves only the best, and I'm trying to give it to him. Like you said, he hasn't had the easiest time - not these past few years at least," Ashton looked straight at Calum as he spoke this time, wanting the man to know he understood. "I know a lot of people think I'm too young to be in this relationship, with a twenty-three year old and his toddler, I know Luke has thought it too at times. But it doesn't matter, Luke gave me a chance to leave before it got to serious and I think it's obvious why I didn't take it. Luke doesn't deserve to be abandoned like that."

"I don't know where you came from, but you're a literal angel," Calum laughed out, Ashton letting out a small giggle too. "A knight in shining armour, Prince Charming, you're like something out of a fairytale Ashton."

"I'm just doing my best to support him, there's no need to thank me."

"Humble too," Calum chuckled once more. "But seriously Ashton, thank you for everything. I can't imagine how difficult it's been for you too."

"It's not the easiest, but you do the most for the ones you love, no?" Ashton smiled again, still not thinking that he needed all the praise he was getting.

"I know Michael is grateful too, in his own way. He really isn't that bad of a guy, and I know it's not something Luke likes to talk about too, but when he's in a good space he's a good person," Calum tried to assure Ashton. He'd grown up around both men, been both their friends for almost ten years and he'd seen them both go through everything together - including their break up. "Now, I know you probably don't want to and definitely don't have to, I also know Luke will probably murder me for saying this, but I think it would be good for the two of you to have a sit down to talk. To just, I don't know, clear some things up. I don't speak to him much these days, but I do know he's insecure about you becoming more of a father to Tim than he is."

"I'd like to, if he wants to," Ashton sighed. "I know it's hard, but I don't want to make anything worse between them. Me being around hasn't helped, but I couldn't bring myself to leave."

"One day," Calum started, looking right at Ashton once again with absolute sincerity. "One day, I think you guys will all be able to be friends. It'll take some time, but I'd like to think you'll get there."

Ashton couldn't help but smile small once again. He'd had guilt weighing on his shoulders about the strain he'd created between Luke and Michael ever since he'd come around. Even before he was there the two men had, had a rough relationship but he certainly hadn't made things any better.

He too hoped that one day Calum would be right, that one day the three of them would be..good.

-

"Evening baby, how are you?" Ashton smiled, leaning down to kiss Luke quickly on the lips.

After his coffee and talk with Calum, Ashton had spent the remainder of his day thinking about Luke and how all he wanted to do was hug the man and show him all the appreciation he had for him.

"Ash," Luke smiled, pulling the younger boy down to him. "I'm good, tired. How are you? How was school?"

"I'm tired, college was long. I just wanted to see you all day," Ashton smiled at Luke again. "Missed you."

"Missed me? Ash, its been four days," Luke chuckled. "And you've called me every single one of those days."

"Yeah, but I wanted to tell you I love you and remind you how great you are," Ashton smiled back, sliding down onto the couch beside his boyfriend. Bringing out a bunch of pink and yellow tulips from behind his back, he smiled once more. "I got you these."

Staring for a moment, Luke's mouth makes an o shape before bursting into an even bigger smile. 

"You didn't have to do that," Luke took them from Ashton's hands, admiring the flowers. 

"I know, I wanted to. They're some of the first ones they've gotten in for the spring, I thought you'd appreciate them," Ashton smiled, watching Luke admire the flowers. 

"You're like some kind of angel, you know?" Luke took his gaze from the flowers, to Ashton. The smile not once leaving his lips. 

Ashton made Luke happy, and both boys knew it. 

"I've been told." 

I'll be honest, I don't love this chapter. What do you think? 

Let me know your thoughts on this chapter!

Calum wanting to sit down with Ashton and have a talk? 

Their talk? 

Calum telling Ashton how much he appreciates everything he's done and thanking him for sticking around? 

Ashton not feeling like he needs praise? Feeling guilty about tension he'd caused between Luke and Michael

Calum wanting Ashton and Michael to have a talk? Ashton agreeing? 

What do you think Ashton and Michael would need to talk about? How would Luke react?

Ashton giving Luke flowers and missing him? Being clingy?

Lukes reaction? 

What do you want to see from this story? 

Leave a comment, vote or follow me if you enjoyed it! I really appreciate every ounce of support. 

-grace x