Chapter Twenty-Four Reggie

Olivia stares at her menu while braiding her hair off to one side. Loose curls hang around the nape of her neck and around her temples while the rest of her hair is still straight from when Keely styled it this morning.

Conversation is short between us just like it was on the drive here. Once we order and both have coffee in front of us, the tension eases.

"How's your mom?" Olivia asks, her voice is soft and hesitant.

I shrug, thinking of the three calls that I've missed from her over this past week. I'm sure she wants details about how Olivia is doing with the recent information and I'm not one to snitch.

"How's yours?" I throw back at her.

"It's not the same and you know it."

"Why? Because mine's dying?" As soon as the words roll off my tongue, I realize how harsh they were.

She flinches and I know I've crossed a line. "You know you can talk to me about her...or anything. Whatever you're feeling, I would never think differently of you."

I nod my head, easing her mind. I reach into the pocket of my leather jacket, pulling out a small bottle of Jameson that I swiped from the party and pour it into my coffee, Irish whiskey is just what it needs.

I catch Olivia's gaze as she glances around to make sure nobody is watching. I don't like the way she looks at me when I drink. Something about her painful stare makes my chest hurt.

"You know, most people just stick with Irish cream," she tries to joke, but I know a forced smile when I see hers.

I crack a smile, more so for the fact that she's trying to be playful with me rather than beat my feelings out. She's not wrong, I have a lot of unresolved feelings, some surrounding her. I don't even know where to fucking start. How am I supposed to explain something I don't even understand?

"Since things are weird with your parents, what's going on for the holidays?" I question.

"Blake and I were just talking about that. What if we have a friends-giving?"

I let out a laugh. "What the hell is a friends-giving?"

"Like, all of us who aren't going home for the holidays. I can cook a turkey, bake some pie, it'll be fun," she pauses. "Blake wants me to go over to his parents," she stops, lost in thought. "Actually what if we do it the day before? That way even the people who are going home can come?"

Not spending the holidays with our families, pretending like everything is perfect...sounds perfect.

"Jessa was planning on staying with us the week of Thanksgiving. I know she kind of takes up space in your room, but—"

"Reggie, I seriously don't mind," she interrupts, sipping her coffee.

I nod along. "So are we having a Friends-mas, too?" I chuckle.

Olivia sticks her tongue out at me. "Yes, Mr. Scrooge," she remarks sarcastically. "We should do a secret Santa! Wouldn't that be so fun?" she grins.

"Totes fun," I reply, jokingly. "I've gotta be your Santa though because I already know what I'm getting you," I state.

Her eyes meet mine. "Seriously?"

I nod, knowing that I haven't actually found it yet, but I know what I'm on the hunt for.

She leans in. "What is it?"

"Like I'm going to tell you."

"Oh come on, you can't tell me you're getting me something and then not tell me what it is."