14

As school rolled back around things seemed just a little different.

For one thing I couldn't shake this feeling of longing...and almost all of my thoughts were consumed by Braxton.

For another thing the "goons" suddenly became friendlier.

Elise introduced us to them.

"Mariah, Harper this is Philip, Tommy, and Benny." She said of the three guys. "Fellas this is my friend Mariah and THIS is Harper."

I gave her a quick look, I felt like she was putting emphasis on who I was and I wondered why.

But before I could question her the three guys shook my hand and even made conversation. Turns out Tommy is Vance's brother.

So meeting the girls and the goons in the morning sort of became our new things now.

And when Wednesday rolled around it was like we had all been friends all along.

"So are you coming to the party this weekend?" Tommy asked.

"Of course she is." Philip said matter of factly.

"You should definitely come." Elise said. "The both of you." She added as she looked at Mariah.

"Are you sure it will be alright, whose party is it anyways?" I asked a little unsure.

"It's sort of a community party but Braxton is the host I guess." Benny filled us in.

I nodded trying to remain calm as the sound of his name filled me with happiness.

"Well i'm in." Mariah agreed.

"I've gotta check with my parents but it should be okay."

"H you're gonna be 19, I don't think you need your parents permission for everything anymore." Elise stated.

"It's cool, it shows that she has no problem with authority." Tommy pointed out.

I blushed, they had taken a liking to talking about me like i'm not here.

We went through the day and soon the day was over.

"We're going to the mall, come on." Mariah insisted as we walked to her car.

All day I had noticed that Mariah seemed a bit distant, something was up but she wasn't telling us what it was.

So despite my aversion for going I didn't protest because I knew in the long run they would somehow get their way and I would end up at the mall regardless.

As we rode to the mall Mariah began talking as I got a random text that made me so excited I wanted to scream.

[???: Hey it's Braxton, hope you don't mind but I asked my cousin for your number.]

"So I've been meaning to tell you both something kind of important...but to be honest I'm having a hard time dealing with it."

After my initial freak out/excitement I finally responded back.

[Harper: No worries, how've you been?]

"H, can you hear me?"

I pressed send as then read it back to myself, I internally groaned 'no worries' I rolled my eyes, 'he's going to think I'm so lame.'

"Harper?"

[Braxton: Well if you're still up for it I was wondering if you would like to go out with me on Sunday night?]