20

When Braxton and I went to our assigned seats after the opening dance I quickly excused myself to go to the restroom, on my way I ran into Val.

"You look beautiful." I said as I hugged her.

"Me, look at you, H you look radiant!"

I thanked her and explained I was on my way to the restroom so she offered to come with me.

I went first and when it was her turn she brought up Braxton.

"So, damn good choice of guys baby sis." She said, "wish I would've picked him."

For the first time in my entire life I grew extremely jealous.

"That's Braxton and were kind going out, so..."

"Shut the hell up!" She shouted excitedly. "Like actually going out?"

I shrugged as if it was nothing "we've had a few dates, we talk to each other all the time too."

"So is he your boyfriend?"

"W-we haven't, exactly put a label on things." I said as I began to worry. Braxton had asked me once and I somewhat turned him down, what if that was my only opportunity?

"Can I meet him?" She asked.

I nodded my head a little unsure, it wasn't exactly a secret that Valerie is the prettier sister and this made me worry now.

We exited the restroom and Val grabbed my hand, a small thing that she's done since we were little. If we were ever at a party she would hold my hand so we wouldn't get separated and I wouldn't get lost in the crowd.

Once we reached Braxton, Val had her best smile on full display and I fought hard not to roll my eyes.

"I want to introduce you to my older sister Valerie." I said as I forced a smile onto my face, then I turned to her. "Val this is Braxton."

He shook her hand in a friendly fashion and that same jealousy from earlier was coming back.

"It's nice to meet another member of Harper's family." Braxton smiled.

Val groaned, "oh no, he met mom and dad?" She asked me, I simply nodded and wondered when she'd leave.

"Your parents are lovely people."

"Sure but they're as boring as people can get." Valerie said, "I'm still surprised they managed to make such awesome kids."

He nodded.

Valerie made easy small talk, throwing her head back when she laughed to emphasize her own bust.

Finally a tall blonde guy walked over, he wore a forest green Bow tie and I noticed it matched Val's ribbon.

The guy introduced himself as Christopher before he whisked my flirty sister away.

"Can we go somewhere to talk privately?" He asked.

I nodded slightly worried, he had met my sister and now he wanted to talk.

Does he like her more than me, that's nothing new, most people do.

Then he took my hand into his own large hand and laced our fingers together as he lead us out to the back of the house.

There was a beautiful garden out here and we sat down on a bench.

The evening was clear and stars shone above us along side a perfect crescent moon. The air was starting to shift from summer to fall as the normally warm evening had the smallest light breeze.