19

Braxton's POV:

---

"You'll be standing around the middle," Ryder informed me. "If you stand too close to the bottom or the top they'll be able to see you're the tallest and you'll be picked quick...of course the ladies with mates get to go first, your own mate being the last of the Mates before it becomes a free for all."

"That's fine, but stand opposite me." I instructed now. "If Harper somehow makes it up to me and it comes down to chose me or the guy next to me I think I'll be okay if she picked you...but I'd more than Likely break the rules if she's paired with some other guy.

He nodded and we took our positions before we placed the masks on our faces.

It didn't take long for the guests to begin arriving, but once they began it seemed the place was filling up fast.

Then I felt when she arrived.

Even if I didn't have my mating pulling I would have spotted her easily.

She wasn't as short as she normally is, probably from high heeled shoes, but her dangerously curvy body was on full display tonight. I was grateful for the full mask now as it hid my blackened eyes and elongated teeth. To say I was turned on was an understatement.

After some time George, an ex Elite 30 member came out and welcomed the ladies before telling them about the numbers and calling forward the first girl.

Now the masquerade ball is generally a mixer for the human girls and werewolf men. BUT if a brother has a mate then she is invited regardless of her species, and traditionally they are the first to choose their "masked suitor" before someone else has the chance to select their mate unknowingly.

Four of the guys here already have mates. Fredrik, Charles, Vance, and Gabe. Their mates also know about the werewolf pack and the whole mate thing.

But tonight my own mate was given the number five, yes she is my mate, but seeing as she doesn't know about us being mates and there for isn't marked...it will be interesting to see if she actually picks me or someone else.

As her number was called I stood completely still like the other guys, heads forward and hands behind my back so as not to draw attention to myself.

With every step she took closer to me my mate pull grew stronger.

'MATE' My wolf tried to call to her.

I know she feels the "tingles" but I wonder if she also feels the pull toward me...or sense my wolf somehow?

'MATE'

Suddenly she stopped.

From my peripherals I could see she was right next to me and my heart beat quicker at the anticipation of my mate blindly finding me.

Then she lifted her head.

If she was a wolf I would've known that she was sniffing the air to find my scent, but as she's a human I don't know what she was doing exactly. Then she stepped right up to me.

"Hi." She said softly, a deep lipstick was put onto her delicious lips making them look even more enticing.

I remained silent as I turned only slightly and held out the ceremonial ribbon to her.

The ribbon is a symbol for what we wolves usually do upon finding our mates, we mark them. But since we can't really just mark a human we simple tie the ribbon around their wrist to show that she is taken and who she is taken by. Men may talk to her but they are not allowed to touch her or initiate anything "inappropriate" with her.