2: Social

Grey twirled before the mirror, silently admiring the way her skirt swirled around her knees

It wasn't her best dress, but it did make her feel confident. The light pink color against her tan skin, the off-shoulder sleeves that helped her show off her collarbone. Her dark curls were swept into a bun, still dripping water from the shower onto her neck. "Well, what do you think?"

"Mew." Luca perched on a decorative pillow, black tail curling in the air.

"Pretty, right?"

The kitten dropped its head over its paws, staring at the stack of notebooks on her desktop rather than her reflection. Okay then. Grey shrugged and fumbled with a pair of diamond studs before sauntering to her bathroom for one last spritz of perfume. The mist landed on her chin instead of her neck.

Idiot.

She laughed at herself, taking it off with a napkin. This social wasn't even her event. Actually, she didn't know who's it was. She just decided to tag along when Amelia wouldn't stop whining about being too nervous to go alone. As much as she gave her best friend a hard time, she'd never let the girl face something so nerve-wracking on her own.

"You're going to be a good kitten, right?" Grey grabbed her heels from under the desk, checking her makeup one last time in the small mirror beside her laptop. Luca's lack of response made her check the bed. The cat was curled up into a ball, tiny chest rising and falling with sleeping breaths.

If an owner wouldn't claim her in the next few days, that sleeping face assured Grey that she would.

On her tiptoes, Grey quietly closed the door behind her.

:::

The Grand Mirage Hotel was one of the tallest buildings in downtown, and a temporary home to celebrities and businesspeople alike. Even with black clouds draping over the night sky, the spotlights from its pointed ceiling shined majestically, a waving beacon for patrons with moneybags.

Grey swallowed, grateful that she chose a dress. Two doormen clothed in black and gold uniforms held the door open, bowing slightly as she passed. She stopped when she reached the lobby.

A crystal chandelier as wide as her car dangled overhead, casting golden light over marble floors and red velvet chaise lounges. White flowers in porcelain vases peppered the foyer, scenting the entire floor with sweet jasmine. Near the back of the room, winding marble and iron staircases formed a half-moon onto another floor just as luxurious as the first. Involuntarily, Grey straightened her back and lifted her chin.

How the hell was Amelia pulling these strings?

"You're here!" Warm hands grabbed her shoulders, Amelia sidling into view a few seconds later. Her best friend wore a deep purple that hugged her thin, willowy frame. Her black hair waved down her back, her dark eyes gleaming with excitement. "I was just about to call you but I remember what happened earlier. You just disappeared."