20: MSND - The Last Rose of Summer

CONTINUED

CONTINUED

Four roses and four minutes left before she met Yoongi in the courtyard. 

The ball was already in full swing and an hour remained. Four men, one hour. Fifteen minutes with each. It was doable.

Grey exited the main ballroom through a patio door with Rin's marking on her skin a distant memory. Taehyung's kiss made her forget about everything, really.

The garden's venue was rather intimate. Green hedge bushes directed her down a cobblestone path. Crystal beads acted as curtains underneath floral arches entwined with fairy lights. Alabaster water fountains bordered the stones, the soft patter of water sounding just as loud as her shoes against the rocks. At the end of the winding road, a gazebo overgrown with blue flowers stood tall and lonely.

She leaned on it's railing and waited.

And waited.

And waited.

Grey did not have a watch, but she had a general sense for time. At least ten minutes had passed and there was no sign of him. She tightened her fingers around the roses, not wanting to believe that she would still have one left by the end of the night. She had already apologized to him and gotten him a gift to make it up. Maybe he never received it? Maybe he didn't care? What else could she do for him if he didn't want to speak to her?

Swallowing her regret, Grey was on her way back to the ballroom when an oval of black smoke clouded her peripheral. Yoongi stepped from the darkness, shadows still clinging to his all-black tuxedo.

"Sorry I'm late. I don't give a shit about global trade but that didn't make them shut their mouths about it."

She welcomed his cold front. "You came."

"I had to fight my way out, but I'm here. You have ten minutes to talk." Gosh, his apathy was so unforgiving. Did he ever smile?

"Listen, I shouldn't have barged into your room. I saw things that I was not supposed to see. It was your moment, and I invited myself to it."

He blinked, unfazed. "You're right. It was stupid." 

"Okay, I give you that," she said quickly before he could jab her again. "I was stupid."

"You were."

She glared. "I get it. But there's more to it."

He crossed his arms, a gesture yelling at her to continue. So, she tried. "I don't typically feel music. I love it and I listen to it all the time, but I've never heard it before."

Yoongi's obsidian stare pinned her to her spot like a snake threatening to strike if she misstepped. Hostility radiated from his posture, his permanent scowl.

"I heard you when you played. I don't know. I can't explain it. There was a message and a story and it was so familiar that it pained me to listen but I couldn't turn away. It hypnotized me and it opened scars that I've been trying to close for years."