28: A Labyrinth of Gold

Rin grinned from the executive assistant desk, patting a stack of papers against the wood to straighten them out

Rin grinned from the executive assistant desk, patting a stack of papers against the wood to straighten them out. Nico sauntered past her with a small wave and let himself into Jin's office.

The CEO's swivel chair sat with its back to the door. The enormous windows spilled sunlight onto the marble tile floors, his crowded desk, half of the modern wood walls. Over the top of the seat, Nico could make out the top of Jin's head. Black strands of hair turned golden by the perfect circle in the sky that allowed the sun to shine after the morning's drizzle.

Without turning around, Jin said, "It stopped raining."

Nico slowly approached the desk, chuckling under his breath. "Thank you, Seokjin. I could not tell."

The other man stayed silent, basking in the storm's break for as long as it prevailed. Nico enjoyed the view alongside him for a few seconds, but returned his attention to his dear friend when the sky no longer called his name.

"I have not seen you in what feels like a long time."

"It has been a while," Jin confirmed.

Nico sat in the chair before Jin's desk. "Need I ask why?"

Silence stretched over the office, the sunlight dimming as a thin veil of cloud buried it.

"Everyone wonders about you. Your absence is notable."

"She doesn't want to see me," Jin stated.

Nico smiled to himself. "She is stubborn, but she is not vengeful."

"She will not forgive me as she forgave all of you."

Nico leaned back in his chair, crossing one leg over the other. "She will not."

"This is my fault," Jin whispered, "I don't want her to turn me away."

Cautiously, Nico said, "Seokjin, turn towards me."

The swivel chair soundlessly spun. Jin faced Nico with his head down, gaze locked on his desk. Dark circles riddled the skin beneath his eyes. Nico figured he hadn't slept in days. His own form of punishment for the events of the ball. One of the strongest pillars of Anaphiel, cracking at the seams.

The Second King of the Eternal Realm folded his arms in his lap. "Your relationship with Grey is not one that I have seen before. It is a silent bond that does not require tethering or immense attachment. Instead, it functions as smoothly as a reflex; an action performed without conscious thought. An automatic response. You know that your first impulse is to protect her. Though she may never say it aloud, she knows who would step in front of her in the face of danger. Trust is the foundation behind that understanding. When that is shaken, doubt lurks throughout the bond."

Jin thought for a second. "Is protection the only thing I can offer?"

Nico grinned, shaking his head. "If you would only talk to her, you would be surprised to hear what things she would approach you with. I speak only from experience. You have a lot of catching up to do."