53: A Crumbling Palace

Home no longer felt like home

Home no longer felt like home. She also remembered this skyscraper was never meant to hold such a place in her heart. So how is it that as she wandered through the halls of the 41st floor, she felt like she had always lived here from the hundreds of years since they fell? Why is it that she felt that every step in her life led her to this magnificent realm? Her parents, Amelia, all of it.

And though nothing was the same, though this world she'd grown to love crumbled around her, she only sank further into it.

Grey wandered through the Great Hall, soaking in all the details of the heavenly palace's foyer. The checkered floors, vaulted ceilings, marble pillars spiraling towards ornate chandeliers. She hadn't seen it in so long. To her right were the colossal oak doors that led guests towards the rain dining room--where they first accepted her into their household. She grit her teeth, unable to stop looking. It just reminded her too much of that fateful day when they were all cynical, doubtful, yet considerate. She preferred that over where they were now.

A meow sounded by one of the pillars closest to the elevator. A black cat with four white paws wriggled from behind, green eyes luminous even if somber. Luca slowly trudged across the red carpet, her head and ears drooping. Not even her tail rose. Grey said nothing, but dropped to her knees as the kitten picked up her pace and dashed into her arms. They sat like that for a while, girl and pet, licking their wounds.

Grey sniffled, willing the tears from her eyes. Luca snuggled into her shirt.

"Thank you for getting us home," Grey said.

The kitten purred, licking her palm. Grey pet her between her ears.

"I promise I'll finish what we started. I promise." She gently put Luca back on the floor and stood. The castle was too quiet without Luca's motherly voice. But really, it was too quiet with everyone else gone. Trying not to think about it, Grey half walked half jogged to the library.

The columns upon columns of books made her feel like she shrank since traveling the world. An echo of cold air circulated through the dust and smell of unturned pages. Without light from the gaping fireplace, the cloudy skies blanketed the gorgeous room in dark gray. Vanity leaned on one of the reading tables. Amelia sat to her left. Namjoon positioned himself further off to the side, staring aimlessly through the window. The tinkling bell on Luca's collar made Amelia peer over her shoulder at Grey.

Grey waved curtly. Amelia nodded once in acknowledgment. 

Without turning, Vanity said, "How are you handling this?"

Grey watched Luca trot over and hop onto the table. Amelia swooped the cat into her arms, most likely just needing to hold something. Grey said, "I'm not sure yet."

"Neither am I," said the Queen. 

Amelia frowned softly, placing kisses down Luca's neck. "She can't talk anymore?"