39: Her Name Means Pride

Vanity's forked tongue unfurled as her claws tore faster than anyone had ever seen

Hoseok closed his eyes, relaxing his body for impact.

Anaphiel was right. Death in the pursuit of what was just was far more honorable than letting it come while he lied down. Before his soul was taken, he thought of giving it to Rin.

"Don't touch him!"

Iron cut flesh. Hoseok opened his eyes. Taehyung stood in front of him, head bent and coughing up blood. Submerged in his chest were the Queen's nails.

Taehyung wheezed, his coarse voice lowered to a whisper. "You can't take him from me."

The Beast groaned, biting his lip as Vanity slowly drew her blades from his ribs. Trembling, he forced himself to face her even as blood filled the back of his throat.

Vanity smirked. "You will take his place, wolf."

She shoved him to the side like a ragdoll. Hoseok had already placed several feet between them, tears stinging his eyes at the sight of limp Taehyung. Nico ran to the side of the unconscious boy. Namjoon barricaded Hoseok next.

Jin balled his fists at his sides. "How. Dare. You."

Vanity casually peered over her shoulder. "I won't you for last."

Jin's body seized instantly, his muscles pulling taut. Vanity pivoted and ran for him, licking the blood from her fingers.

"Jin!" Namjoon shrieked. The leader wasn't fast enough to reach the eldest.

Nico charged. A streak of white and teal lightning, he crashed into Vanity. The entire building shook as the pair flew into the wall. Dust rained down from the ceiling. When the smoke cleared, Vanity was on the floor with the Second King standing over her.

"This is between you and I," Nico growled. "Leave them out of it."

Vanity brought a finger to her lip. This time, her own blood smeared her fingertips.

"I don't want to hurt--"

Nico croaked as Vanity captured him by the throat and shot into the sky. Up, up they went, shattering the smudged glasswork of the ceiling. They were surrounded by stars and midnight and the moon when Vanity threw him back down to the Earth. Like a fallen comet, Nico's back collided with the tiled floors. The ground cracked around his body to form a crater.

Vanity lowered herself, hovering above the Diamond Lounge. She whistled, a curt yet shrill tune that vibrated through seemingly every level of the Ruby Courtyard.

The horde came running.

Barking, yapping, snarling echoed through the halls. So many feet. Namjoon lost count.

The ones on the ceiling dropped, landing perfectly on their feet. All six of their arms fanned around them, reaching and slashing at whatever was closest. That happened to be Namjoon and Hoseok. Three spider demons cornered the Intellect and the Raven. The fourth stalked to Taehyung, who had pushed up onto all fours.