33: Iron Sharpens Iron

A woman with ivory skin entwined in white lace stared through one of the many arched windows

A woman with ivory skin entwined in white lace stared through one of the many arched windows. Her pointed chin rested over her fist, the morning sunlight rivaling her golden eyes in luminance. Like she had been waiting all night, she sighed through her nostrils and glanced at the human girl she hoped to come across.

Straightening her posture, she said, "You have done well for yourself."

Grey halted midstep, checking her back to make sure no one followed. After sparing a quick look at her ankles to assure Luca's absence, the coast seemed to be clear. "Can anyone see you?"

Variel shook her head. "It is a wonder that I can appear before you."

"What's going on?"

"My visits to you will be scarce as I continue to store power in Vanity. In turn, she will become stronger, but fear not. You and Anaphiel have had just as much growth." Variel's dress twirled around her ankles as she separated from the window and sauntered towards Grey.

Grey let the ghost take and hold her hands. Sighing, she said, "It's not them I'm worried about."

"Your first step of courage was accepting the task I offered. Your second will be enacting it. There will be hands to guide you before and after the journey." The sides of her eyes crinkled from her wide smile. "Thank you for being so brave."

"Don't thank me yet," Grey scoffed.

"Why not? The change you needed to make is already in your eyes. Your shoulders are pulled back, your chin higher than it was before. Prince Namjoon and Prince Yoongi have done wonders in only a few days."

"Jungkook helped too."

Variel's smile turned mischievous. "He did, but I try to stay out of your private moments."

"Thanks, I guess." Grey chuckled, anxiously staring at the floor. She had more training in the next hour, and with that, more time for failure in the name of learning. Her shoulders, back, and abs had been sore from the homework, but the satisfaction that came with completing her physical work outweighed most of the nagging pain. "Any advice for me before you leave?"

"Sure," Variel said, "It might help to envision yourself as something other than a human woman as you face this evil. Until you free me, you are a weapon."

"Why are you just standing there?" Hoseok bumped into her shoulder, the force causing her to lose focus. The luminescent hands and frame and gown were nothing more than rays of light. Variel was nothing more than a dream. Grey's hands fell back to her sides.

"I was zoning out," she lied.

"Thinking about the mission?" He asked. 

She said, "Yeah. It's going to be tough, but worth it."

"You're telling me. Two stupid centuries and we finally get a bread crumb. I'm heading to the training room, are you?"

She walked next to him, slipping into the room when he opened the door. Cheers erupted from around the pit, every angel shouting or clapping while two shadows lurched and ripped at one another in the center.