16: Grey, Executive Assistant

Four tiny pins scratched the side of Grey's face

Four tiny pins scratched the side of Grey's face. She winced, rubbing at the site to ease the sting. The same sharpness clawed at her other cheek, and when she covered that one the needles pricked her nose. At last, she opened her eyes, squinting through the sunlight to the sight of a white and pink paw hovering over her lips.

Luca narrowed her green eyes. "Do not be late to your first day."

Grey sat up instantly, bundling the kitten in her arms. "Luca! You came back! Where have you been?"

The cat groaned, long tail escaping the hold to wave her tail. "Around."

"Yeah, well how can you call yourself a guardian when you left me on my own?" She let her pet go, watched the animal pad over her white and silver comforter and sit on the edge. "You've missed a lot."

"I have missed nothing. You have seven new guardians in addition to me, and they can do a lot more than I since they are not confined to four legs and an affinity to hairballs."

Grey laughed, wiping her eyes and crawling out of bed. "I still need you."

"My role is very minor in the grand scheme."

"Hush," the girl rolled her eyes, "You're my friend. Welcome back."

The cat meowed, busying herself with a paw. Grey opened her wardrobe. The outfit for the first day of a new job deserved to be special. It set the tone for the rest of her career there. She needed to impress, to stake a claim over her desk, over the skyscraper, over Jin. She decided on a white form-fitting dress to her knees with a v-neck and black belt around the middle, a sleek pair of black pumps to match. She'd wrap her hair up in a high bun, maybe even add a necklace.

"I knew it was you."

Grey jumped at Jungkook's appearance before the closet door. He was already in a starched business shirt and slacks, only missing a tie. Luca stared at him, her tiny mouth parted in surprise. He'd been talking to the cat. The girl raised an eyebrow. "Jungkook, are you okay? How did you get in here?"

He gazed from her to the animal and back to her again. Then, he ran a hand over his face and sighed. "I told you I would come back to check on you."

She remembered, but she didn't even hear her bedroom door close. Grey yawned. "Do you know Luca?"

"We have met," Luca's tail flicked, giving a suggestive look to the young angel, "but very briefly. A long time ago."

Jungkook clenched his jaw as though he wanted to say something else, but he must have decided against it when he relaxed. "Yeah. What they said."

"Thank you for watching over me. I know I'm protected but it's nice to have another pair of eyes." She unbuttoned her pajama shirt from the bottom, giving him a pointed look so he could figure out what she was about to do. After a while, he took the hint and nodded.