27: Set Me Ablaze

One tree map and thirty minutes later, Grey was still hunched over her notebook pondering the first branch

She'd stolen the pen from one of the kitchen drawers and dug into her purse to find the book. Writing and scratching through empty pages soothed the edge of anxiety over her circumstances, and when she glanced at her handiwork from a distance as a reader would glimpse a new written work, she felt as though she was larger than the situation for the first time since her arrival.

Even with that control, the first branch of her map led to a dead end. It was entitled "AMULET" and a thin line pointed to her notes on the topic, which consisted of:

-not found

-might be cute?

-I die

In summary, there was no way to acquire the necklace and hope for a good result. So, she focused on the second branch entitled "SWORD," where more notes were jotted in the lines beneath.

-needs a book?

-somewhere out there, idk

-I don't die

This plan seemed so much more achievable from the mere fact that she stayed alive. Of course, there were obstacles such as finding the instruction manual and then the actual weapon, but she was at least 70%--more like 60%--sure she could survive while searching. On top of that, she had Nico. His bond with his brother may not have been invincible, but that didn't mean it meant nothing. Siblings had connections. They knew each other without having to really know each other. At least, that's what Grey had read somewhere while doing some freelance writing.

Luca might not have answers, but she'd have intuition. That was better than wasting time on the death necklace.

The third branch of her tree map made her sigh aloud. It read, "CURSE."

Her notes were rather brief, listing their names on separate lines with blank spaces next to them. Near the bottom of the page were two words.

- Pick one?

She scoffed, slamming her notebook shut and running hands through her hair. Committing an act of love. Confessing her feelings--unrequited feelings to add a cherry on top.

To make things worse, she still had them. Perhaps not as apparent as before, but they persisted. It was so much harder to hate them than to like them. In fact, she couldn't hate them at all. And that was what her rage transformed into; anger at her own weakness.

Grey groaned to the ceiling, falling back onto her bed with her eyes closed in frustration. "I'm not breaking the stupid curse! I'm not, I'm not, I'm not!"

"We would never force you to do anything you don't want to do."

Grey reeled, pushing up from her sheets and whirling on the man leaning on her closet double doors. Jimin wore a black turtle neck, black leather jacket, black jeans, and black combat boots. Sunglasses were pushed up into his platinum hair, revealing the blue, earnest stare smothering her from halfway across the room. He was strikingly serious, his playful smirk stashed away for a completely straight face.