42: Opening the Book

Amelia was already on the other side of the threshold as Grey let Taehyung out of her room

Amelia was already on the other side of the threshold as Grey let Taehyung out of her room. Grey's best friend glared at the Beast, stepping almost halfway down the hall to let him pass. He nodded his head at her for acknowledgment. She turned up her nose at him.

Grey sighed through her nostrils. "You wanted to talk?"

"I'm beginning to have second thoughts," Amelia said. "Do they all warm your bed?"

Grey laughed humorlessly, leaning against her doorframe. "It's not going to work, Amelia. You can't hurt me more than I've hurt you."

She tongued the inside of her cheek, tears forming in her dull eyes. They'd lost a bit of their shine since the Ruby Courtyard. "Fine. But I want you to know, I'd never lie to you as often and as deeply as you've lied to me."

"Yeah, well it was either keep you out of it or be responsible for your death." Grey pushed a loose curl behind her ear. "Guess which one I chose?"

"I can protect myself," Amelia snapped.

"Mmm," Grey shook her head, "not from this."

Amelia shifted her weight to her other hip. "I don't even know what this is."

"It's a shit show, starring me." Grey closed her eyes, letting her head lull back against the doorframe. "I just want it to be over."

"What's the matter? It's my turn to be mad, not yours."

"I know," Grey smiled softly, keeping her eyes closed, "I just need someone to talk to. Someone that isn't leaking testosterone, formerly possessed, or part animal."

Amelia shrugged. "I was partially possessed. Does that count?"

"But you hate me. It's basically the same."

"I don't hate you," Amelia sighed, "I just don't know you. Shacking up here is better than staying in my room."

Grey laughed as much as she could based on circumstances. "Then, I'll make the exception. We can get formally reacquainted." She gestured for Amelia to enter. Her best friend examined her foyer and living room warily.

"This room fits you," she said.

"Thanks. Make yourself comfortable if you want story time."

Amelia plopped onto the couch, grabbing a beaded pillow and snuggling it. "Alright, shoot."

Grey fell into an armchair, sudden nostalgia making her stare at the coffee table. Right there, at the very center Anaphiel offered their gifts for the masquerade ball. She opened all of them so eagerly, excited to dance with them and even more excited to gush about them with Luca. Look at how much time had passed. Look at the way things had changed. Instead of gift bundles, her one and only friend curled up across from her on the couch. That warmed her heart more than any diamond-encrusted trinket anyone could buy.