part seventeen

Adrien grunted as his eyes flickered open. Laying below him was Marinette, who was still peacefully-asleep. He sighed and smiled at the sight, she looked so calm- so cute when she slept.
Even during the delicate moment, Adrien couldn't help but feel a tinge of bitterness. The closer he got to Marinette, the larger his fears grew. All of his doubts raced through his mind as he watched her sleeping face. "What if we break up? I'll loose her forever" "What if she stops loving me?" "This can only end two ways: heartbreak or happiness."

"Why do I have to overthink things so much!-"

Marinette tossed around till her eye-lids fell open. "Hm?" She asked softly.
"O-oh!" Adrien jumped-back startled.
"I-I'm sorry- did I wake you?" He hadn't even realized he was speaking aloud.
She stretched her body a little then smiled, "It's fine, it's just-" her smiled faded slowly, "what were you talking about?"
He bit his lip, there was no easy way through this conversation, and although it was painful to admit, it was probably for the best that they'd have it sooner rather than later.

Adrien sighed, letting his head fall cozily on her resting shoulders.
Marinette ran her fingers through his hair in an effort to comfort him.
"I-it's fine if you don't wanna tell me - if you're not ready tha-" she started, but Adrien shook his head to keep her fro, going any further.
"No..it's not that- it's just.." he paused, trying to find the words, "I'm just...scared."
Her eyes widened, "Scared? Of what- I'll kill it-" she teased.
Adrien let out a soft laugh- "damnit Mari" he thought to himself.
After giggling a little herself, she returned her concerned tone.
"No, but seriously- what do you mean you're 'scared'?"
"It's really stupid but it's just- the way I see it...these kind of things...can only end either happily, or horribly." He didn't wanna get emotional but it was too late to stop it now.
Marinette stayed quiet, allowing him to continue as she stroked his head with her fingers.
"-and it just seems like", he continued, "...anything good that comes into my life is just temporary- it doesn't last."
Marinette paused- her mind going a million-different places. She herself had never felt the fear he's been burdening, but the doubt now crossed her mind. "What will happen to us?" she thought to herself. She suddenly shook off that thought- "I...disagree." she spoke, trying to piece together her words.
"Huh? What do you-"
"I mean- I just think- why let our fears get in the way of happiness? If we never try just because we fear an unhappy ending- then won't we just end up unhappy anyway? A-and even if something did ever happen in the future with us, who's to say we have to stop being friends? You already know I love you Adrien- and I've loved you long before I was even able to say it", she chuckled, "I want our relationship to last too- and that means sticking with you, and facing problems together." She smiled.
Adrien was shocked- but by the time she finished speaking, he could feel his insecurities wash away, just a little. "You know- it's kind of cool hearing another person's perspective on something-"
"Why's that?" She asked softly.
"Cause your mind always makes everything you think seem so real- or like there's no other way...did that even make sense?"
She giggled, "I see what you mean- it's kind of like when I was still crushing on you- I would tell myself that there's no way I could ever end up with you."
He grinned back at her, "Woah, really? You were so wrong." He laughed.
"Geez really?" She laughed, "I couldn't tell." She said sarcastically, gesturing to how they'd literally just fallen asleep together.
"But seriously- everything will be fine! You have nothing to worry about." she smiled as she stroked his cheek with her thumb.
He melted into her caress, his features softening into a small-grin.
"Oh!" he jumped up, "as much as I'd like for you to stay, you should probably get going now."
"Yeah, you're right." Marinette said as she rose up from the couch.
-
The two eventually got each spindle of fabric loaded into the limo and headed back to the bakery to drop off Marinette. Once they'd found a proper place to store them, it was time to say goodbye.

"Welp- I gotta go now." Adrien averted his gaze to the ground.
"I- uh- I'll see you later then" she smiled and winked.
Adrien smiled back, "Bye for meow."
She pouted her lips in response, "Yeah this really is a good bye."

They waved each other off and headed on to their separate ways, ready to see each other later as their alter-egos.

--
ahhh thanks for reading this chapter!!
sorry for the small delay, but I'm out of school and in a better mindset now!!💕💕💕