M E M O R I E S

I walk back into the lounge room and find the cardboard  box in the corner. The one single box with mums stuff in it.
I open the lid.
It's full of all her clothes. I do through until I find something that isn't clothing.
Her memory box.
I used to love going through it. It was full of photos of her when she was younger, and photos of me and my sister when she was older.
I open it.
My hands shaky I pick up the first photo delicately. I sit on the floor.
It is of Mum when she was my age, on her motorbike. She looked so happy.
I lay the photo down. Then I picked one up of our family.
It was taken selfie style.
Our faces all were squashed together. We were smiling like goons. We were definitely happy. It was a few weeks before the robbery when this was taken.
Why did the robbers choose to rob our home? To kill my Father? To kill my sister? Why not the people across the street? Thats horrible to wish it was someone else, but I just want my family.
Ace has always known what happened. He is my neighbour after all. He knew why Mum began her drinking problem. To escape her heartache.
I put the photos back and sit there in silence.
I look into the box again, there's a little brown teddy with a red bow around his neck. He looked so soft. I touch him. Then I pull him out of the box and play with him in my hands.
There's a tag.
It says;
To my dearest daughter Jamie,
I have been saving this teddy to give to you for some time now. It was going to be a gift for when I finally gave up drinking, I have had a long journey with trying to quit because it kills me to see you angry at me when I'm drunk. I haven't had a drink for three days now but you don't know cause you're on a school camp. I'm sober.
I hope I can keep this up so you'll get your old mum back.
Love you always and forever,
Your mum xx

I let the note fall from my hands to the ground. Mum was trying to quit. Why didn't she wait till I was home? I could of helped her quit once and for all. She wanted to give me this bear. It feels wrong to be holding it.
Ace walks in.
I throw everything in the box, get up and kiss him.
" You ok?" He asks, pulling away.
I want to scream. I want to shout no. I'm not fine! I want Mum and dad and my sister.
But all I say is,
" I'm fine".