F U N E R A L

A couple of weeks have passed since my mums death. Ace hasn't left my side, only occasionally jumping the fence to get more clothes.
He is more than a bad boy. It's like I changed him.
He has been patient with me. When I would cry at night, he would hug me. When I found something of mums, he would stand there with me.
The Morgue was waiting for me to give the date of when we were gonna bury Mum.
The thing was, I wasn't ready to watch her go underground. But it needed to be done.

Ace sat with me at the table. It is 1:00 am and we haven't even got any sleep. We are planning mums funeral. Her life insurance arrived in the mail. It came with what she wanted her funeral to look like.
We never talked about this, so I had no idea what to do. But Ace did.
He talked me through and by the time the sun came up, we were ready.

I texted everyone in the contacts that were given and told them about the funeral. Ace and I then went to set up at the church Mum adored.

Mum never wanted everyone to cry at her funeral, she wanted a celebration of her life. Happy tears and happy memories.
People began to fill the pews and I sat at the front with Ace.
A couple of mums friends said their speeches. Then it was my turn. I took my piece of paper with me.
I stood behind the lectern.
" Hello everyone, I'm Jamie. And the women in that coffin is my Mother" I say. I hear a few gasps, and look at Ace. He nods. I keep going.
" Mother was a kind person. She wasn't the type that would forget we even existed, until the robbery. Where my father and sister were killed. Mum couldn't cope" I say, tears fill my eyes.
" I was angry at her for torturing me like she did. I never told her I loved her anymore. I never even talked to her" the words started falling out. I wasn't even reading from the page anymore.
" It was my fault she died. I should of stopped her. It was my fault!" I say.
Ace stands up. I cry.
" It was my fault!".

We stand at the grave. They lower mum into the ground. People throw rose petals it to the ground with her. I throw white ones.
The gravediggers start to push the dirt back in, our queue to leave.
But I don't want to. Not yet.