H E L P

I meet Ace behind the library.
" How was it? Was she nice?" He ask.
" Yeah I guess, I didn't really care so I walked out" I say.
" Jamie, I have realised that education is so important. You may not know what your gonna be but still get that learning everyone else has" he says, angry at my choices.
" What the hell Ace? Since when do you care about school? This last month has changed you!" I spit.
Why am I angry? It's awesome that he knows what he wants to do when he's older. Is it cause I'm jealous? Broken? Knowing it's gonna be hard to catch up? Knowing I don't even know what my future will be. It's scares me to even know what tomorrow holds.
" Ace.. I'm Sorry I didn't mean that" I say pleading.
He looks hurt. Like he has finally given up on me.
" No, it's fine. It's hard for you, I know. But you can't control what happens! I may not even get to experience next year!" He says back, holding back more words.
He opens his mouth but nothing comes out. Then he closes it again.
The last bit didn't make sense, but I don't ask about it. I don't care.
We are silent for a moment.
But then I turn and walk away, like all my problems and mistakes I'm afraid to face.

I get home and sit on my bed to think. Think about everything I have destroyed. I think of Ace and how I changed him totally and didn't even like the new him. The one that loved me. I loved him at his worst but why not his best? What is wrong with me?
I think of why Lauren and Mackenzie, how they hated me for Taking Ace. I worked so hard to get him, only to throw him back in the ditch.

My phone buzzes at 12:30 in the morning. I haven't even gone to sleep yet, I was just lying there.
I reach over and see my phone lit up by Aces name.
Ace❤️: Hey Jamie, we really should talk about this. There is never enough time.
What did he mean by 'enough time'?
Me: What do you mean? Yea we should talk but, ' enough time'?
Ace❤️: Just come to the hospital, it urgent. Tell the front desk who I am and they will bring you too me.
I freeze.
My stomach starts doing backflips and I need to vomit. But I don't.

I get to the hospital, walking slowly, not ready for What's about to face me.
I get to reception.
" Uh.. Ace?" I say.
The nurse nods, tearing up.
" Yes, honey" she nods.
I follow her to his room.
The door is shut and the lights turned off.
" Be brave" the nurse says.
I don't even know her but I feel like I should.
I open the door.
A body lies under a blanket on the bed in the middle of the room.
I turn the lights on.
And walk over to him.
" Ace?" I whisper.
" sit down"he whispers.
I do.
" that was my mum who bought you here. She didn't tell u what happened right?" He asks.
" No she didn't" I say.
It is silent for a while.
" I have cancer, I have two months left. My bad boy days are nearly over" he sighs.
How is he so calm?
A tear slips from my eye. Everything that was holding me together tumbles down in an instant.
Ace is going to die and I can't do anything about it.
" I love you Jamie, forever" he says.
He isn't dead yet but I can't help it to drift to the future. The future I'm afraid of.
" I love you too".