In The Meadow We Will Run

A/N: Hi! So this update will be a different than my previous ones. In here, I tackle the challenge of writing a short story/prose verse poem (poem without the rhyming and same verse qualities of a normal poem). This is for a contest I am entering called MELODY, monthly short story contest. The theme for this poem was Life and Death. I understand if you choose not to read it, for it is a short story and sort of long :) Any feedback and constructive criticism is more than welcomed, for it will help me make the story better. If you also want to join, I have the link below. Thank you and I will post a new poem soon. :) 

https://www.wattpad.com/story/149596967-melody-monthly-short-story-contest

Warning: There is mention of substance abuse. 

****** 

To My Dearest Ryland,

I write this letter to you. To who you will become, to who you are now. While I write this, I may break down and weep, resulting in smudged words, and patches of dry tears dispersed all over this letter. But I will get through to the end, even if I have to go through a box of tissues. For sweetheart, I want you to know what you mean to me, and what you will continue to mean, once I am no longer with you. 

As you journey in life, and continue to blossom into a rare flower, thriving in beauty; this letter will be my abundant gift for you. These words, are my heart spilling its essence into a lasting promise. All that I can think of, at this moment to express to you as you grow from a youthful soul, into a vibrant adult. As you build your own path of to venture down upon, in search for self identify in this life. This beautiful, unpredictable, and twisted mess we call life. 

Ryland. From the rye land "Island meadow". You are an element of earth, graced by the meadows beauty, and natures glow. Your name found its way into my dreams one night. I was back in the meadows, behind your grandparents house where I grew up. A child again I found myself, innocent and daydreaming, as I laid under the welcoming sun, in the meadow of emerald grass. Tranquil breaths escaped me with each intake of air. My chest rose ever so gently, and transcended down with every exhale. The grass, was flattened in waves with each gust of wind, as its pointy ends tickled my face. Only the chirping of the birds, wrestling for bird seeds could be heard louder than the buzzing of the honeybees. A sharp gust of wind woke me from my freeing slumber, and I took in the sight of a dozen dandelions, blowing elegantly along with the wind. I reached up to grasp a seed of a dandelion. A soft, quiet voice, almost a whisper I  heard among the dandelions dance. Ryland, Ryland, Ryland. That name, repeated on a perpetual loop, but endlessly painted across my heart. 

 I woke up in a startle, a pool of sweat forming on my forehead, and my heart beating uncontrollably. I placed my hands in a heart shape over where you used to lie and whispered your name for the first time. In that moment, it's as if your small self could hear my voice, for a soft kick I felt against my fingers. I believed that was your excited little heart voicing its thoughts on your new name. In life and in death, forever my Ryland you will be. 

On the day you became a gift to us in this life, I promised the stars that you would continue to be our treasure in the next life. Thoughts of you being taken away to be observed for complications, even now has my stomach in knots. Your heart, the size of a walnut, was forced to work harder then ever before, to keep you in this world, just a little while longer. I was terrified that I would lose you before I would get to hold you. Your father was squeezing my hand, holding me back from ripping the sheets off my body, and coming after you. 

I felt breathless, deprived of life. I called out to the universe, wished upon the brightest stay. To let you experience this life. To not take you away so soon. And then the universe answered. You cried, and boy, did you cry. But those wailing sounds coming from your room, at unearthly hours of the night, gave me hope that the universe was on our side. Because you were alive.