Chapter 3: And Life Worth Living

Chapter 3 And Life Worth Living

"Cas, Kevin, we're back!" Dean called as he walked into the main room of the bunker, followed by Sam and Hope. There was a rustling in the adjacent room and then the prophet and the former angel walked in.

"Hey, you found her." Kevin commented when he spotted Hope.

Sam nodded. "This is Hope. Hope, this is Kevin and--"

"Castiel." Hope interrupted him, looking steadily at the former angel. "You were a young angel when I left Heaven, but I remember you. You're human, now, I see."

"And you are once again an angel. I envy you." He replied. "Still, it is nice to see one of my kin who isn't bent on killing me, however fair that blood lust may be."

Hope frowned sympathetically. "I know you didn't mean for this to happen, Castiel. Some day all of the angels whose trust is worth having will understand that , too. l will help you convince them." She comforted, stepping forward and wrapping her arms around Castiel, the top of her head barely reaching his shoulder. "You're a good man, Cas," She murmured into his chest. Castiel closed his eyes. He looked like he was fighting back tears, his jaw quivering and his throat tight. Then, to the Winchesters' surprise, he hugged the girl back. The former angel 's arms wrapped easily around Hope's small form and he buried his face in the top of her head.

After a moment, Hope stepped back. Cas looked embarrassed at having come so close to breaking down and Hope looked near tears herself. Kevin cleared his throat awkwardly. "I'm glad you guys are back. Cas and I hit a speed bump in our translating and we really need the tablet to crack this section." He told Dean.

"Sure." the Hunter reached into his jacket to pull the tablet from the inside pocket, but it was empty. "What the--son of a bitch!" he exclaimed.

"What?" Sam asked.

"The demon that got away; it took the angel tablet."

********************

"Damn it!" Dean said for the fiftieth time, kicking the wall and wincing as pain shot through his foot. "Son of a bitch!" he cried.

"You know, it's not the wall's fault. Plus, If you stop kicking it, your foot probably won't hurt so much." Hope told him.

"Great. Not only did we lose our method of making angels, but the one we did manage to make has an attitude the size of planet earth." Dean grumbled.

"Actually, it's the size of the solar system. I have to store some of the sarcasm in space to keep your planet from exploding. You're welcome." she snapped.

"Guys!" Sam broke in before the argument could escalate to a full on battle. "Bickering isn't going to get the tablet back. We need to make a plan."

Castiel nodded. "Sam is right. We need to get the tablet back before Abbadon can use it."

"OK, how are we going to find her, then?" Dean asked, trying to force the irritation out of his voice.

"I think I may be able to help with that." Kevin spoke up. "I can sort of sense where the tablet is, kind of like radar or something. Comes with being a prophet, I guess."

"So you know where she took it?" Hope asked.

"Not exactly....I can just, sort of....feel where I need to go to find it." the prophet replied.

"But you could lead us there?" Sam broke in. Kevin nodded.

"No way." Dean interrupted. "The tablet is useless without a prophet to interpret it, right? So who do you think is number one on the Demons' Most Wanted list right now?"

"Me." Kevin realized. "Great."

"Exactly. No way in hell are we getting him anywhere near Abandon's hideout." Dean finished.

"Dean, I agree that Kevin is in danger, but we need that tablet back." Sam insisted. "What if we have Kevin lead us there and then come back without him once we know where to go?" the hunter suggested.

Castiel nodded slowly. "It isn't ideal, but with the three of us we should be able to do it."

"Three of us?" Dean shook his head. "No way, Cas. You're staying here with Kevin, holding down the fort."

"But, Dean--"

"Look, man, you're new at being human. You're not used to being so....mortal. I just don't want you to get yourself killed." Dean explained gently, looking at the former angel with concern dancing in his green eyes.

Cas hesitated for a moment, his blue eyes uncertain. "Alright, Dean." He finally agreed. "I will stay. But you two have to be careful. I don't want you getting yourselves killed, either."

"Don't worry, Cas. I'll make sure they come home in one piece." Hope promised. Everyone stared at her. "What? Of course I'm going. The two of you can't take on a nest of demons by yourselves."

"She's right, Dean. We need her help. That's why we found her in the first place." Sam sighed.

"Fine. You, me, and Feathers. That's it." Dean gave in. "Kevin can lead us there tomorrow. I'm exhausted." Everyone nodded their agreement and headed off to their respective beds, Dean showing Hope to an empty room despite the fact that she no longer needed to sleep.

"There's your bed. Sit and.....read or something. I don't know." Dean stated, turning to leave.

"Dean." Hope said, stopping him.

"What?"

"Aren't you going to let me heal you?" the angel asked, taking a step closer to him.

"I don't know what you're talking about." the hunter replied, his green eyes sealing off, making his expression unreadable.

"Come on, Dean. You twisted your right ankle and you've got some bruised ribs. Let me fix it." Hope insisted.

"How did you--"

"I'm an angel. Don't worry, Sam didn't notice." she replied, interrupting him. "The only reason those demons landed a blow on you was because you were shielding me. The least I can do is heal you." her gray-blue eyes were filled with sincerity. "Here." The angel reached up to place two fingers on Dean's forehead. She had to reach a little because she was so much shorter than him. He bent a little to make it easier.

Hope closed her eyes and sent a piece of her grace up her arm and into Dean. It quickly found his injuries and healed them, traveling back into the angel that it belonged to.

"There." Hope whispered. She opened her eyes and for a second she could see a flash of some emotion cross Dean's face, but it was gone before she could identify it.

Dean cleared his throat. "Thanks." He mumbled.

"You're welcome."

The two stared at each other for a moment, the blue and green of their eyes mixing in the space between them. Finally Dean cleared his throat again. "I should go. To sleep. In my room." He stammered.

"Right." Hope said, ducking her head to hide the blush creeping into her cheeks. "Goodnight, Dean." she called as the hunter retreated through the door.

He turned, his face slightly pinker than usual. "Goodnight, Hope." He locked his bright green eyes on hers one more time before turning on his heel and fleeing to his room.

Hope sank slowly to perch on the edge of her bed, watching the space where Dean disappeared with confusion swelling in her eyes. Finally she sighed and covered her face with her hands, pushing thoughts of Dean Winchester from her mind.