Chapter 5: I Dreamed That God Would Be Forgiving

Chapter 5 I Dreamed That God Would Be Forgiving

Dean awoke in his room, curled under the soft blankets. He rolled over and was surprised to see Hope sitting on the edge of the mattress, watching him. He jumped.

"I'm sorry." Hope apologized. "I didn't mean to scare you. I just....kind of miss sleeping. It was always nice to be able to escape for a while. And, well, you seemed so peaceful...." she trailed off, blushing with a look on her face that said she could not believe she said that out loud. "I mean..." she stood as if to leave.

Dean frowned, sitting up. "Hey, it's okay." He said, stopping her retreat. She sat back down, glancing up at him and then quickly away, a blush creeping into her fair cheeks. "Look, about last night--" he began.

She shook her head. "Don't worry about it. I understand. Sometimes you just can't talk." She assured him. The angel paused, uncertainty playing through her eyes. Finally, she sat back on the mattress and continued. "But I hope that when you can talk, you'll talk to me." She added, searching his eyes.

"Yeah," Dean's voice was rough "Yeah, I think I will. And you....you can talk to me." Hope just nodded.

They sat there for several seconds, neither willing to break the moment. And though Dean's walls did not come down, Hope could see them soften just the tiniest bit which gave her....well, hope.

Finally, Dean cleared his throat. "We should probably get moving if we're going to find the tablet before dark."

"You're right." Hope agreed, trying not to sound too mournful. The angel sighed. "Let's go see if the rest of the Scooby Gang is up."

*********************

Once everyone was awake and had eaten breakfast they gathered in the main room of the bunker. "Alright, here's the plan;" Dean began, clapping his hands together, "Sam, Kevin, and I are going to track down the tablet. When we find it, we'll come back here, switch out Moses for Feathers," Kevin and Hope scowled at the hunter's nicknames, "and go Indiana Jones on the Godsetta Stone."

"Hold on," Hope protested. "I'm coming with you."

"No, actually, you're not." Dean replied.

"Why?"

"You're kind of a blinking 'Please Kill Me' sign for Abbadon." Sam explained, giving the angel an apologetic look.

Dean nodded "I'd rather not get my ass kicked by demons today. This is a strictly confrontation-free trip. I'm leaving the nukes at home. Plus, we've got the King if Hell in our dungeon. Wouldn't want to leave him unsupervised."

"It's not as if he can escape!" she protested. Dean just raises an eyebrow, to which Hope frowned. "Well, what are me and Cas supposed to do while you're gone?"

"I don't know. You're brother and sister, right?" the angel and former angel nodded. "Then....bond." Dean said, shrugging. "Sam, Kevin, we need to get going. You ready?" The two men nodded. "Great, let's hit the road."

The prophet and the two hunters grabbed their bags and were gone, leaving Hope and Castiel alone in the bunker.

**********************

"Arghh, this is so boring!!" Hope groaned throwing herself down into one of the chairs around the two rectangular tables in the main room of the bunker. "You'd think with a library that big they'd have something decent to read, but no." She sighed. "I want my book!"

Cas looked up at that. "What are you reading?" he asked, surprising the angel. He hadn't said much since the boys left a few hours ago.

"Uh,...Ender's Game." She replied. "By Orson Scott Card."