Chapter 31: And There are Storms We Cannot Weather

Chapter 31 And There are Storms We Cannot Weather

"So, what's the plan?" Hope asked when Sam came back into the study.

"Crowley says the demon purification ritual we tried on him should work on...on Dean." He said.

"How do we find him?" Castiel pointed out, looking doubtful. "He's obviously very powerful, or Crowley wouldn't be so afraid of him. It took a special tracking spell to locate Cain. I don't think we can find him if he doesn't want us to."

"Crowley gave me coordinates " Sam explained. "The place they were supposed to meet to do the trade-of with the Blade."

"Then what are we waiting for?" Hope asked, getting to her feet. "Let's go."

Sam shook his head. "You're not going anywhere."

"What?"

"You're Grace. It's hurting you again. I can tell." Sam told her.

Hope started to argue. "Really, I'm--"

"Cas?" Sam interrupted her, looking to the angel for confirmation.

He sighed. "It's true. You should stay here and rest."

"No!" Hope protested. "I'm not going to sit her and twiddle my thumbs while there's something I can do to help get Dean back!"

"Hope. We will get Dean back. I promise." Castiel said forcefully, looking his sister in the eyes. "Until then, you need to take it easy."

Sam nodded. "We'll find Dean. You stay here with Crowley, make sure he didn't get into anything he shouldn't."

"He's in a Devil's Trap!" Hope exclaimed, frustrated.

Sam shrugged. "Better safe than sorry."

Hope sighed. "Babysitting duty. Again." She grumbled.

"Hope, the First Blade is here." Sam pointed out. "This may be the safest place in the world, but with the King of Hell in the basement,I don't want to risk I leaving it here unguarded, and we sure as hell can't take it with us to find Dean. You're getting him by staying here." He insisted.

Hope paused, considering. "Fine." She finally sighed.

"We'll bring him back." Sam said.

"You better." She hugged him. "Be careful."

"I always am."

She hugged Cas, too, and then they were gone.

************************

Hope went down to the dungeon to check on Crowley, make sure he was still nice and locked up. "Hello there, Feathers. Come to give me a massage?" He greeted her.

"No. And don't call me that."

"I don't understand why you hate it so much." Crowley mused. "It's a perfectly good nickname. No worse than 'Moose' or 'Squirrel.'"

"I hate it because you use it." Hope snapped. "You know perfectly well that I don't have wings anymore, therefore no feathers. It's just your way of trying to get under my skin."

"Seems to be working, doesn't it?"

Hope paused. "Fair point." She admitted.

"You didn't come all the way down here to complain about my manipulative nature. What is it that you want?" Crowley asked.

Hope frowned, uneasy that he could read her so well. Finally, she decided she might as well ask. "You've been around Dean. Since...since he changed." She began.

Crowley nodded. "Quite a bit."

"Right. I just....what is he like? I mean, I get that he's a demon, but is he like you? Or Abaddon? Cain? Azazel?" She paused. "Alistair?"

Crowley chuckled. "Want to know how evil your boyfriend's become, do you? On a scale of one to ten?" he shook his head. "I don't know about evil, but he's completely mad. He's like...an addict. But it's not like he wants to destroy the world, if that's what you're worried about. No, it's more like he just...doesn't care. About anything. And it's absolutely terrifying." Hope nodded, unsure how to feel about his answer.

Just then, a low voice came from the doorway. "I had no idea you felt so warm and fuzzy about me, boss."

Hope whirled around. That voice. It was oddly familiar, but wrong somehow; too deep, too rough, too much like a snarl. But, still, it sounded like...

Dean. He was leaning in the doorway of the dungeon, smirking at the shock on her face. Hope was torn between relief and horror at the sight of him, alive.

"Honey," he smirked and his green eyes flicked to black. "I'm home."