Chapter 19: To Shame

By the time Dean got back, Hope was almost finished with the first book. He didn't speak when he walked in, just came and sat silently on the bed beside her. As soon as he sat down Hope put the book upside down on the mattress and wrapped her arms around his neck. He hugged her back, not quite understanding what was going on.

After a moment Hope spoke, her voice tickling Dean's neck as she continued to embrace him. "You don't have to talk about it. You don't have to say anything. I just want you to know that I know, and....and...." She couldn't think of the right words, so she just squeezed him tighter, letting the hug say what she didn't know how to. "Let's do something. I can finish this another time."

"Okay. Want to watch TV?" Dean asked.

"Sure." Hope answered. Dean picked up the remote and clicked the television on. As the screen lit up they were greeted by a British voice announcing 'A brand new episode of Doctor Who, only on BBC America.'

Dean glanced at Hope, a blush darkening his cheeks. This was his TV and he was the last one to use it; there was no way around the fact that he had been watching Doctor Who, but he tried anyway. "Uh...I..uh......"

"Doctor Who, huh?" Hope asked, not a hint of scorn in her voice. She actually looked....excited. "Who's your favorite Doctor?"

"Uh....Nine." He admitted, smiling a little. "He doesn't get enough credit, but I think Christopher Eccleston was, huh, fantastic as the Doctor."

Hope laughed at that. "I've always liked Nine, too." She agreed. "And Ten. And...John Hurt...8.5...whatever. Have you seen Twelve yet?" She asked.

Dean shook his head. "I got behind with everything that's been going on. I haven't seen any of season eight."

Hope shook her head. "Me, either."

"I have it recorded, do you want to watch it?" Dean asked. Hope just raised her eyebrows as if to say 'Are you really asking that question?' Dean laughed and used the remote to navigate them to season eight, episode one, Deep Breath, and they settled down to watch.

******************

"I want to go for a walk." Hope announced. They had watched all four episodes new episodes of Doctor Who and were eating the soup that Castiel had made earlier. He and Sam had already gone to bed; it was late and they hadn't slept all day like Hope and Dean had.

"It's almost midnight." Dean pointed out.

Hope shrugged. "I know. But I'm not tired. Please! I've been cooped up all day! I need some fresh air!"

Dean looked at her as if he was trying to analyse her health with his eyes. "Are you okay? I don't want you to do anything that's going to--"

"I'm fine, Dean." She interrupted. "Please!"

Dean sighed. "Put on a coat." He said, his tone defeated.

"Yes!" Hope hopped up, grabbed her dark green corduroy jacket, and slipped it on.

"Where do you want to go?"

Hope shrugged. "There's a place nearby." She said cryptically.

Dean sighed, knowing he'd get nothing more out of her. The girl could be more stubborn than Sam sometimes. "Okay."

He let Hope lead him out of the bunker and into the trees outside. It was cool, but not too cold, he decided. As they walked, Hope took his hand, entwining her fingers with his. After a few minutes of walking in silence, the only sound the leaves crunching beneath their feet, Hope spoke up. "So...Doctor Who, huh?"