Chapter 18: As They Turn Your Dream

Chapter 18 As They Turn Your Dream

When Dean arrived at the bunker he found Sam waiting for him in the study. The younger Winchester didn't make eye contact, just glanced up at his brother. "They're, uh, in your room." Cas had decided to move Hope there after he hung up with Dean because, as he said, 'She'd be more comfortable in a real bed and this isn't really the type of thing that a hospital is equipped to handle anyway.'

"Thanks." Dean muttered. He knew he should say something to make up with Sam, but all he could think about right now was Hope.

He walked down the hall until he came to his room. The door was cracked open and a warm light leaked out. Dean knocked lightly on the door before poking his head in. Castiel sat on a chair beside the bed. The room was dark except for a lamp sitting on the beside table. The angel looked up when Dean stepped in, but Dean's eyes were on Hope.

She was lying on her back, a blanket pulled up to her shoulders. She looked perfectly normal; her face was relaxed, her skin no paler than usual, but that could've been a result of the dim light. The hunter knelt beside the bed and took her hand in his. "How is she?" he asked quietly, not wanting to wake her.

"The same." Castiel whispered back, following Dean's cue. "She should wake up soon." Dean nodded. "I'll, uh, I'll go make some soup. She might be hungry when she wakes up." He started to leave but stopped and put a tentative hand on Dean's back. "I'm glad you're here, Dean. I hope you'll stay."

Dean gave him a weak smile. "Thanks, Cas." The angel nodded and left, and Dean turned his attention back to Hope. He brushed a strand of hair back from her forehead. "Hey, sweetie." he whispered. "I'm sorry I left you. I shouldn't have. I should've been here to protect you." He swallowed, fighting back tears, and stopped talking, electing instead to examine her hands. They were small and lithe, the fingers thin and agile-looking. Her skin was pale with a silvery undertone, as if it were encasing hundreds of tiny stars. Gold freckles were sprinkled across them and up her fingers. Dean vaguely remembered his mother telling him that freckles were angel kisses. It seemed fitting in Hope's case.

A soft breath came from the head of the bed. Dean looked up to find two gray eyes watching him. "Dean?" Hope asked.

"Hey." Dean breathed, scooting closer to the bed and stroking Hope's cheek. "How do you feel?"

"Mmm....okay." She murmured.

"Do you remember what happened?" Dean asked gently.

Hope's expression darkened. "Yes." She whispered sadly, closing her eyes. She reached out her arms to Dean and he bent closer to her, letting her wrap her arms around his neck. He slipped his hands under her back and pulled her up, closer to him. Hope buried her face in his neck. "I'm glad you're back."

"Hope, I'm sorry." Dean sighed. "I shouldn't have left. I thought I was protecting you, but...I was wrong. I should've been here."

Hope pulled away and smiled at Dean, then punched him lightly in the chest. "Don't you ever do that again."

Dean laughed. "Only if you promise not to get hurt anymore."

"Deal." Hope whispered, laying her head on his chest again. Dean kissed her hair and she tilted her face up to meet his lips with her own. "I missed you."

"I missed you, too."

There was a soft knock on the door and Castiel peered into the room. "Hey, Cas." Hope greeted him.

"Hello, Hope." He said, coming further into the room. "It's good to see you awake."

She gave him a small smile and nestled into Dean, closing her eyes.

"Are you tired?" Dean asked.

Hope nodded. "I shouldn't be, but yeah, I am."

"You can go to sleep. I'll be right here." Dean promised. Hope was asleep in less than a minute. Dean looked down at her, his green eyes warmer than they had been since he left.

"She seems to be recovering well." Castiel pointed out.

Dean nodded absently. "I think she's in more pain than she's letting on."

Cas sighed. "I wish I knew what to do. But this....I've never encountered something like this before. What Abaddon is doing...it's unprecedented."

Dean ground his teeth. "I'm going to find her."

"Dean--"

"No, Cas. Damn it, I'm going to make her pay." Dean hissed, his green eyes blazing.

Castiel's expression hardened. "You focus on Hope." He said. "I'll take care of Abaddon." his voice was more fierce than Dean had ever heard it, even when they first met. Dean remembered how threatening the angel could be. You should show me some respect. He had snarled. It was comforting to know that there was at least one powerful being on their side in all of this.

All at once the fire left Castiel's blue eyes and he was his same trench-coated, peaceful, bee-watching self. "I should check on the soup." He murmured. Then he was gone, leaving Dean thinking that for once there really was at least one angel watching over him and the ones he loved.

*****************

When Hope woke up again Dean was lying on the bed beside her, her head pulled on his chest. He was skimming through a book, mumbling something to himself.

"What's that?" Hope asked, shifting to try to see the pages.

"Uh, huh," he snorted, closing the book so Hope could see the cover. "Supernatural. It's, uh, well...it's a book series about...about Sam and me."

Hope laughed. "Are you serious? Is it accurate?"

Dean nodded. "Yeah. The author's real name is Chuck. Chuck Shirley. Apparently he's a prophet, but he didn't know it, he just thought it was some story. But, yeah, it's accurate." He looked at Hope, his green eyes searching. A blush was creeping up his neck. "I had Cas pick them up. I...I want you to have them. Read them, if you want. I figure....you know, if you're going to choose this life....with me....you deserve to know. Everything."

Hope had to swallow the lump forming in her throat. "Thank you." She whispered.

Dean gave her a half smile. "Are you still feeling okay?"

Hope thought about that for a moment. "Yeah." She finally said. "I'm just....well, human, now I guess." At Dean's sympathetic look she smiled. "But I don't mind. All of my favorite people are human. Well, except Castiel."

"Oh, he's one of your favorites, is he?" Dean teased.

"Yup." Hope replied, not missing a beat. "I like him almost as much as I like you."

Dean laughed. "As long as I'm your favorite..."

"I didn't say that."

The hunter chuckled. "Okay, okay." He sighed. "I have to go take care of some stuff, will you be okay by yourself for a while?" Hope nodded. "Are you sure? I could get Cas to come sit with you. Or Sam."

"No, I'm fine." Hope insisted, waving the book at him. "I've got a book, it'll take me about two minutes to get so immersed in this that I wouldn't notice if the apocalypse was happening right outside my door."

"That's not funny." Dean told her, sitting up. "That is like a legitimately possible situation." Hope just laughed. Dean placed a cell phone on the beside table. "I'm one on speed dial, Sam is two, and Cas is three. Call if you need anything."

"Okay." He kissed her quickly and then was gone.

Hope picked up the book and thumbed through the pages, inhaling their warm scent. Then she opened it to the prologue and began reading.

Lawrence, Kansas. November 2nd, 1983.