Chapter 15: With Their Voices

Chapter 15 With Their Voices

Not-Ezekiel awoke in an abandoned warehouse surrounded by Dean, Cas, Crowley, and Hope. The angel was tied to a chair with warded handcuffs and a metal bar across his forehead.

Dean spoke first. "Welcome to the party, pal. Cas, Hope, how we lookin'?"

"Most of Sam's internal burns have healed. I should be able to fix the rest." Castiel replied. Hope nodded her agreement. "What's your name? I thought I knew every angel in heaven, but I've never seen you."

"Why would I tell you anything?" the angel in Sam's body spat.

"Well, I don't give a damn who you are." Dean snapped. "You need to get out--now!"

"And if I don't?"

"Then you and I will have a lovely play date." Crowley smirked.

Not-Ezekiel scowled. "Even bound, I can rip this body apart. Tell them, Castiel."

"Not on my watch." Hope broke in, stepping up to stand in front of the angel. Sitting down he was only a little bit shorter than her. "I'm here to make sure Sammy's okay."

Not-Ezekiel didn't react, just turned to Dean. "If it makes you feel better, I have Sam locked away in a dream. As far as he knows, you're working a case right now; something with ghouls and cheerleaders."

"Why are you doing this, huh?" Dean asked. "We fought together. And I trusted you. I thought you were one of the good guys!"

The angel leveled him with a fierce glare. "I am doing what I have to do."

"Well, so am I." Dean spat back, trying to ignore the fact that it was Sam's eyes staring at him with such contempt.

"So am I." Crowley added in a tone that sounded more like he was doing what he wanted to do. The demon picked up a needle and plunged it into Not-Ezekiel's--and therefore Sam's--temple. The angel screamed in pain and Hope moved closer, standing next to his chair and watching like a hawk for any sign that Sam was in danger. Dean frowned and his eyes hardened as he glanced at his watch.

*******************

Dean was having a hard time dealing with Sam's body being tortured, and it became increasingly evident as the hours wore on. Suddenly he couldn't handle it anymore. The hunter walked quickly away. Hope, still perched beside the screaming angel 's chair, shared a worried look with Castiel before he turned and quickly followed Dean.

"Hey." Cas said, rendered nearly speechless at the sight of Dean desperately trying to hold back tears. His green eyes were wide and red-rimmed.

"I can't watch that anymore."

Cas nodded. "I understand. It's not Sam, but...it's still Sam."

"Pretty much, yeah." Dean replied, his voice cracking. He had to think about something else, so he latched onto the first question he could come up with. "How are you doing?"

"You want to talk about me now?" the angel asked, surprised.

"I want to talk about anything that's not a demon sticking needles into my brother's brain." The response came out thin and watery. Dean looked out the window, trying to control the tears pooling in his eyes. "Yeah, humor me, man. How you doing?"

"Uh...I'm okay." Cas replied lamely.

Dean nodded anyway. "Good. Good. That's, uh...So, what, you just change the batteries out, power back up? It's that easy?" he asked.

Cas frowned slightly. "It wasn't easy but I didn't have a choice."

"Yeah. Well, that's usually how it goes." Dean said. After a moment he met Castiel's eyes. "Cas...I'm sorry."