Chapter 13: No Wine Untasted

Chapter 13 No Wine Untasted

Dean and Hope walked into the library to find Kevin hunched over a book. Cas was in the stacks, probably looking for some book on the syntax of some ungodly complex dead language.

"I need a spell. ASAP." Dean said urgently.

Kevin sighed. "Everyone always needs a spell, and it's always ASAP."

"Listen. An angel can't be expelled by another human. Okay, only by the host right?" Hope began. "But, what if there was a way to power down the angel, so that it wasn't in charge for a few seconds?"

"What?" Kevin asked.

Hope looked at Dean, uncertain about how much to say. "For instance, if--if hypothetically, I wanted to speak with the vessel but not have the squatter listen in." Dean explained.

"Why?"

"Why? Kevin, we've got tons of possessed humans out there. You with me? And when the angels kill each other off, the humans are taking it in the teeth!" Dean exploded.

"So what if we wanted to clue the human in," Hope continued, "so that he--" she glanced at Dean, "or she--could spit the angel out? That would be a good thing, right?"

"Uh...yeah?" Kevin replied hesitantly.

Dean clapped him on the back. "Okay. So hit the tablet. Let's go." he headed for the door, Hope following.

"Now?" Kevin asked.

Dean didn't even turn around, tossing over his shoulder, "Yesterday, Cinderella." With that he was gone. Hope paused briefly to give Kevin an apologetic look then took off to catch up to Dean.

***********************************

Gadreel and Metatron stood beneath a large overpass. Gadreel looked down at Metatron. "I've been thinking this over, Metatron. I will join you as second in command." he said, his voice stiff and formal.

Metatron grinned. "Bravo, Gadreel! This move will erase the mark that has hounded you through the centuries. Heaven will be restored, as will your reputation as one of its greatest heroes."

Gadreel nodded. "I thank you for this opportunity."

"There's just one more thing." Metatron said, squinting up at Gadreel.

"Yes?"

"I need to be sure of your fidelity."

"You have it." Gadreel insisted.

Metatron shook his head. "No, I mean really sure. We have enemies who pose an imminent threat to our effort. They must be neutralized."

"Slain?"

Metatron pursed his lips. "In a word."

"That...that is not who I am." Gadreel said uncertainly.

Metatron pulled a yellow card out of his jacket pocket. "Yeah." he said sarcastically. "Here's the first name on your to-do list." Gadreel took the paper, read it, and sighed. "Decide."

********************************

Hope, Dean, and Kevin stood in the storeroom, the shelves shoved away from the walls, sigils painted everywhere.

"All right, so this masterpiece we just painted--it's gonna work, right?" Dean asked.

Kevin nodded. "The sigils are supposed to briefly hobble the possessing angel. If the info's correct."

"Wait, what?" Hope asked.

"I only had time to get a little from the tablet." Kevin explained. "The rest came from an old Men of Letters book. As soon as your blood touches the ignition sigil, the spell kicks in." the prophet paused, looking between Hope and Dean. "Guys, what's going on?"