Chapter 26: He Took My Childhood in His Stride

Chapter 26 He Took My Childhood in His Stride

"Dean, pick up the phone. Call me back." Sam said into his phone, talking to Dean's voicemail. "I'm not kidding, all right? Don't do this. Not like this."

"Are you sure it was Crowley?" Hope asked. They had woken her up as soon as they realized Dean was gone.

"Who else would he summon?" Sam snapped. "I mean, he and Crowley have been bromancing over the Blade ever since Dean got the Mark."

"The Mark?" Gadreel asked.

"The Mark of Cain." Cas told him.

"So that's what Dean cut me with--the First Blade. In a way, that could be useful."

"What?" Sam asked, incredulous.

"Well, Metatron is more powerful than ever," Gadreel explained, "but if Dean has the First Blade and the Mark, that might give us out best chance."

"You're joking, right?" Sam scoffed. "An hour ago, we were ready to throw Dean into a padded cell, and now you say he's our best chance?"

"Sam's right." Hope broke in.

"Hear him out." Cas said.

"Oh, right. Excuse me." Hope snapped. "Sorry, guys. Sorry I'm a little less than eager to hear that our best chance is--is arming the warhead and hoping it hits the mark."

Sam nodded. "This is not a bomb we're talking about. This is my brother."

"And your brother would not be in this alone." Gadreel assured him. "We can help."

"How?" Hope asked.

"I believe Metatron has found a way to tap into the Angel tablet, harnessing its power to give him powers equivalent to--"

"God, right?" Sam interrupted. "I mean, that's what this is all about, isn't it? Metatron wants to be God." Gadreel nodded.

"Great, well, that basically makes him unstoppable." Hope said dejectedly.

Castiel shook his head. "Not if we can break the connection between Metatron and the tablet. That would make him just an ordinary angel. Where's the tablet?" he turned to Gadreel.

"Metatron's office."

"In Heaven?" Hope asked.

Gadreel nodded. "I can get us to the door."

"And then what?" Sam frowned, uncertain. "I mean, why would they let you in? If Metatron's number two shows up with Heaven's Most Wanted, the gig is up."

"Sam, we have to try." Castiel insisted.

**********************

Dean and Crowley sat in a diner, a cheese burger and a cup of coffee on the table in front of Dean. Crowley nodded toward the door as two demons walked in. "Cavalry's here." The demons walked up to Crowley and handed him a smart phone, a video pulled up on the screen. Crowley nodded for them to leave.

"And?" Dean asked expectantly.

"Apparently...your angel has gone viral." Crowley handed the phone to Dean, who played the video.

A teenage boy was following a girl's butt as she walked by on the sidewalk. "And that, America, is perfection." He said.

Another voice came over the speaker. "Yo, dude, that's your sister."

A loud sound came from off screen and the boy turned the camera to show a woman laying in the street, apparently just hit by a car. Blood poured from her nose, her mouth. "Oh, my God! She's dead, man! She's dead."