Chapter 27: But He Was Gone When Autumn Came

Chapter 27 But He Was Gone When Autumn Came

Gadreel and Castiel were still locked up in Heaven's prison. Ingrid had left, but Hannah was still there. "Okay, so you're telling me that Metatron set you up, stabbed those suicide bombers to make himself look like the victim." She scoffed.

"Gadreel was his second in command. For what other reason than the truth would he turn against Metatron?" Castiel asked.

Hannah looked offended. "So now I'm supposed to trust the word of an angel who has only ever thought of himself since the Garden, and you? You told us not a single angel more would die in this fight."

"What do you think I have been trying to do?" Cas snapped.

"Trying? By killing Metatron?"

Castiel locked his jaw. "He is the reason for all of our suffering."

"Nothing you say matters." Hannah dismissed him.

"Would you rather I not try at all?"

"Not if you can't prove it." She snapped.

"So give us a chance." Cas appealed. "Let us out, Hannah. Please."

************************

Dean walked up to the homeless encampment where Metatron had been staying. "Can I help you?" one of the men confronted him.

"Take it easy, Chief." Dean said.

A woman stepped forward. "You're Dean Winchester." It was a statement, not a question.

"Now how did you know that?" Dean asked.

"He said you were coming." She replied.

"Well, here I am." Dean shrugged. "Where's Metatron?"

"Marv." The man corrected him.

"Sure."

"In there." The woman answered, pointing to a warehouse behind the camp. "Praying for our forgiveness."

"Forgiveness for what?" The woman's eyes went to the pool of blood on the ground from where the homeless people had brutally murdered the angel that had denounced Metatron. "Is he, now?"

************************

HEAVEN'S PRISON

"I sat in this hole for thousands of years, thinking of nothing but redemption, of reclaiming my good name." Gadreel said. "I thought of nobody, no cause, other than my own."

"You've been redeemed, my friend." Castiel assured him.

"The only thing that matters in the end is the mission--protecting those who would not and cannot protect themselves--the humans." Gadreel insisted. "None of us is bigger than that. And we will not let out fears, our self-absorption prevent us from seeing it through. Not anymore."

"No. Of course not."

Gadreel's voice was calm. "Move to the other side of your cell, Castiel, and keep your head down."

"What are you doing?" Cas asked.

Hannah rushed to Gadreel's cell to see that the angel had carved the suicide sigil that Metatron had used on the suicide bomber angels. She fumbled with the key to unlock the door. "When they say my name, perhaps I won't just be the one that let the serpent in." Gadreel continued, ignoring her. "Perhaps I will be known as one of the many..."

"Gadreel." Castiel called.

"...who gave Heaven a second chance." He looked straight at Hannah. "Run, sister." Gadreel jammed a sharp piece of rock into his chest and he exploded in a powerful flash of white light, breaking down the prison walls.