Chapter 9: And Used

Chapter 9 And Used

Sam, Cas, and Kevin were all seated around the big table in the main room of the bunker, sandwiches and ancient books spread before them. Sam looked up when Hope and Dean walked in.

"What were you doing out there? It's pouring rain!" he asked, his expression turning curious when he saw their clasped fingers.

"We noticed."

"That was the point." Dean and Hope replied at the same time.

"I believe you are in need of dry clothing." Castiel remarked. He, too seemed to have noticed that they were holding hands. Kevin glanced up briefly before looking back to the tablet.

Dean snorted, still shivering. "Yeah, thanks, Cas. We noticed." The former angel nodded thoughtfully.

The pair moved on to the hallway where their bedrooms were located. They stopped outside Hope's room. "Do you have other clothes?" Dean asked.

Hope nodded. "Cas and I went to my old apartment while you guys were looking for the tablet. I picked up some of my things."

"Okay." Dean paused. He seemed reluctant to let go of her hand, despite the fact that he was visibly shaking from cold. He placed his free hand on her cheek--just the palm covered from her temple to her jaw--and pulled her to him, lowering his head until their lips met again. Hope kissed him back for a moment before pushing him away.

"Dean. Dry clothes. You're vibrating." She reminded him gently.

He sighed but turned to go, pressing one more kiss to her lips before heading to his room.

Hope slipped into her room and riffled through her duffel bag, which she had not had time to unpack. She finally selected a pair of jeans, a plain gray t-shirt, and a coral-colored button up to wear over it, Winchester style. Then she peeled off her wet clothes and pulled on the new ones, relishing in the feeling of the dry cloth on her skin even though she hadn't been the slightest bit cold. Angels don't feel cold.

They don't feel love, either.

The thought surprised her. Was that what she felt for Dean? Love? She considered it for a moment. Yes. She decided. She wasn't sure how, because it was true that angels were not supposed to have emotions, but Hope loved Dean Winchester. The realization made her smile. She grinned as she pulled her wet hair back from her face into a short pony tail which not all of it made it into. She tucked the loose strands behind her ear.

She was still smiling when Dean knocked on her door. She pulled it open and stepped toward him. The angel stood on her tiptoes and wrapped her arms around his neck, hoping Dean would take the hint and bend down because even stretching up as far as possible she couldn't reach his mouth.

He did, curving his neck down and his shoulders around Hope, closing his eyes as he kissed her.

"Oh." Cas' voice came from a few feet down the hall. Hope and Dean looked up. "I was coming to see if you wanted a sandwich." The former angel explained awkwardly. Was he blushing?

"I can come make it. But thanks, Cas." Dean replied.

"Okay." Castiel turned back around and walked quickly down the hallway, looking unsure how to handle the situation he had stumbled upon.

Hope looked at Dean. "I guess you are hungry, aren't you? I forgot you have to eat."

He nodded. "So did I." That made Hope blush. He took her hand again as they walked to the kitchen.

*******************

When Hope and Dean returned to the main room of the bunker, Dean carrying a huge sandwich and a slice of pie on a plate in one hand and gripping Hope's small, pale fingers in the other, it seemed that Cas had told Sam and Kevin what he had seen. He had probably asked them what the correct human response was, or something along those lines. The three of them watched Hope and Dean closely, Cas with a curious tilt of the head, Kevin with tired approval, and Sam with a smile that he did not even try to conceal, his eyes full of happiness for his brother, who had so much trouble letting people in.