Chapter 14: But the Tigers Come at Night

A/N: I'm updating so frequently because I want to get this finished before season 10 comes out (13 days, guys!!!!! Gah!!!!!!) Anyway, enjoy. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 14 But the Tigers Come at Night

After a few seconds of silence something snapped in Dean. Grief had given way to fury, mostly at himself. He stood up, shrugging off Hope's comforting hands which he barely felt, and started throwing things. Chairs, books, lamps. His ears were ringing and he couldn't hear a thing, which made him even angrier. He just wanted to hear it break, to have the world acknowledge that something was shattered, lost. My fault. My fault. My fault. The silent chant echoed in his mind, blocking everything else out. It was not the shattering sound that he wanted.

He could see Hope now, could feel her hands on his arms, his back, trying to calm him while dodging the objects he threw. He realized he didn't want to hurt her. The thought made him lower the book he held, drop it to the ground.

"Dean!" he could hear her now. Her voice was thin, frightened, but he could see her fear was not of him, but for him. He blinked hard and took a deep breath, trying to calm down. For her.

Hope could see the shift in his expression. "It's okay." she tried to comfort him, lifting a hand hesitantly and cupping his cheek. "Calm down."

Dean looked at her, examining her face closely. Suddenly tears filled his eyes again and a quiet sob broke from his mouth. Hope wrapped her arms around him and he melted into her, letting her rub his back as he cried into her shoulder. Dean's knees felt weak and he didn't try to fight it, just let himself sink down. Hope followed him until they were kneeling on the floor together.

Castiel came running into the room with wide blue eyes. He stopped in the doorway, taking in the scene before him. When his eyes fell on Kevin he walked to the prophet's body. Knowing what he would find, he knelt beside the boy and felt for a pulse anyway, but there was none. The angel then walked to Hope and Dean and lowered himself to the ground with them, placing a gentle hand on Dean's back.

After a moment Dean took a shaky breath and straightened. He wiped his eyes roughly, trying to put up his usual rough-and-tough façade, but the pain still showed in his eyes.

"Dean, what happened?" Castiel asked gently. He turned to Hope. "What's wrong?"

Dean and Hope shared a look, then Dean began to tell the story.

**************************************

"Sammy was dying. What was I supposed to do?" Dean finished, emotion making his voice rough. He and Cas sat at the table in the study. Hope was outside burning Kevin's body.

"You let an angel possess him."

Dean shook his head sadly. "He said it was the only way and I believed him. Now Sam's gone. Kevin's..." he trailed off.

"Dean, I'm sorry," Castiel said sincerely.

"Yeah, well, sorry don't pay the bills, does it?" Dean stood up. "It sure as hell ain't gonna bring Kevin back." his voice faltered and he paused, swallowing the emotion. "We've got to find that son of a bitch."

"Dean. If the angel possessing Sam isn't Ezekiel, then who is it?" Cas asked.

"A dead man walking."

Castiel raised his eyebrows. "What, you're gonna destroy him?"

"Damn right." Dean growled.

"You kill an angel, its vessel dies, too." Cas warned.